showers for 24 hour crew station

eman00

Forum Crew Member
hey, i am wondering, by law, does a company have to provide showers for the 24 hour crew stations? also, is a company allowed to keep oxygen tanks in the same room where the emts sleep in? if anybody knows, please let me know and post any link that states the law. thanks for the help.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You can start with the state you are in for starters, we cant help you without that knowledge.

You should check your company exposure policy to see what they have in place in case you need a shower.

Not sure if OSHA has a standard regarding this or not, but not every state is OSHA. Some have their own rules and regs as long as they meet or exceed OSHA standards.

I do know there are OSHA guidelines in regards to O2 storage, so I would look into that as well.

You have a lot of concerns, have you discussed them with a supervisor? What answers have they given? Have you looked through all your employee documentation?

Always start at the source as opposed to random internet queries that vary department by department, state by state.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I know when I worked occupational medicine I slept in the same room as the O2 all the time, it just had to be properly secured.

mct601

RN/NRP
hey, i am wondering, by law, does a company have to provide showers for the 24 hour crew stations? also, is a company allowed to keep oxygen tanks in the same room where the emts sleep in? if anybody knows, please let me know and post any link that states the law. thanks for the help.

Out of curiosity, are you not provided showers?

OP
OP
E

eman00

Forum Crew Member
i work as an emt in california and my company does not provide showers for 24 hour crews and keep the portable oxygen tanks in the emt's sleeping quarters. my company employee manuel does not mention anything about showers. as for talking to my supervisors about the issue, lets just say its the type of company that does not really care about their employees; any issue that is brought up to the supervisors is not taken care off, all they say is, "we'll look into it" and never get back to you.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As long as the O2 is secured properly, I can't really see much of a problem... Now if you've just got stacks of tanks, that could be bad.

Hockey

Quackers
Let me guess, mad at the company and want to get "back at them" (AKA get them in trouble)? I think so

If they don't "care about you" why don't you leave? Happiness is a much nicer thing ;)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There shouldn't be a problem with the O2 storage in sleeping quarters, but I do know that some municipalities require a permit from the fire department to store over a certain amount of compressed gas (that supports combustion). I know that one service I work for stores many M-tanks, and has a cascade system, so holds a permit from the Fire Department.
Hazardous materials aside, I dont see why they need showers for a 24-hour crew, but possibly for longer shifts.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Check OSHA on the 24 hour workplace issue. As for the tanks; as long as they are in a secured position and not able to be tipped, don't see the issue there. The sleeping, showering stuff....OSHA has guidelines.

PS: If you want to keep a job, you may not want to mention OSHA. That's a bad, bad word, ranking right up there with the "U" word. Good luck. Worker rights do, not nor have they ever extended to EMS. Until that changes, ya might want to write in yer journal.

mct601

RN/NRP
Showers for just a 24 doesn't seem too big of a deal to me. Take a shower before you go into work and one when you get off. I COULD see getting dirty during a call and needing a shower. Bring good face wash supplies, and wash your hands + face frequently. Won't stop your pits from stinking but it will make you feel a little fresh ;)

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
You didn't mention where in California you work. OSHA do not require you company tohave showers however depends on the city they might. In the city that your company have their office, stop by city hall and ask what is the requirement to have 24 hours shift in ambulance company. Just tell them you're thinking of opening one.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Showers?? We don't even have beds.

I thought bunks WERE required for 24 hour shifts almost everywhere...

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
Well.....DANG!

oneluv79:)