should she give up

hogwiley

Forum Captain
My girlfriend struggled with and failed the Nursing NCLEX exam after her BSN program. She was even hired somewhere as a graduate nurse, and was let go during orientation because of failing.

The test for some reason just totally freaked her out. Probably because she had so much time and money tied into her Nursing education, so she had a lot riding on it.

Eventually she passed it, got hired at a hospital, and has been working as an RN for a year now with no problems.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
There is a whole book about the phenomenon of people failing just because the pressure's on, called "Choke": Not light reading.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
I know that the first NREMT style (CAT) test our EMT instructor gave us was a real shock to the whole class, even knowing the simple material doesn't help without also knowing how the test works and how to manage the multiple stressors of time and how critical good scores are. "Choke" is a great book, I hear.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Go to Kaplan and have your test taking skills evaluated. If you feel like you know the subject but jeep flopping tests the next. Place to go Kaplan learning center center where they can help you lean ways to study.