Should locks be used?

JPINFV

Gadfly
And if you really are that anal about your pay and completely unwilling to put in extra effort...then do it while you are working. Since you've talked in the past about how important a portable DVD player can be, you apparently will have plenty of time to check a rig.
Amazingly enough, there tends to be time after the unit is checked out. As far as I'm concerned, the DVD player doesn't come out till the unit is checked and wiped down with sanitizer, including the rarely used equipment like the traction splints. I have zero problem doing extra work, provided I'm being paid. It's a business, not a charity.

And where is it that you work again? Oh wait...you don't.

Hardy har har. Oh look at that, you're insulting a grad student for not working during grad school. Can I ask about your education level? Turning your logic around, if it isn't a graduate degree it means nothing.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Amazingly enough, there tends to be time after the unit is checked out. As far as I'm concerned, the DVD player doesn't come out till the unit is checked and wiped down with sanitizer, including the rarely used equipment like the traction splints. I have zero problem doing extra work, provided I'm being paid. It's a business, not a charity.

Hardy har har. Oh look at that, you're insulting a grad student for not working during grad school. Can I ask about your education level? Turning your logic around, if it isn't a graduate degree it means nothing.
Good. As long as you're doing it, then it's not a problem.

Far as the rest...now, I'm not trying to be insulting. Yet. Just pointing out the facts. As I said before (not all of this is completely relevant right now, but much of it still is):
JPINFV, look, you've got great medical knowledge...being pre-med I'd hope so...but you don't have all that much real world experience. You worked as a basic in a non-emergent interfacility transport service in SoCal for...how long? My point being, 1) don't base everything you think of on LA and LA County, 2) don't think that you know everything there is about the EMS systems and structures in the US, and 3) don't think that you know much of anything about the fire service beyond what's in the papers (we've done this before if you remember). Southern Cali is crap for fire-based EMS, I'll agree on that. The rest of California isn't that much better. But working there for a limited amount of time does not make you an authority on EMS in America, the fire service in America, and the role's that unions play in both.

Of course I'm not an expert either, I've just had a wider range of experience and time to see how things work. And there's people here that have been around longer than I've been alive and know more. See my point?

My point was, and still is, while you may be pre-med, you have limited real world experience in EMS, and what you have has been on the transfer side of things. And in that you aren't working now and haven't in...how long? That's not neccasarily a bad thing given that you seem to want to be a doctor, it just means that you don't know as much as some people here. Just like I don't know as much as some people here. This doesn't have anything to do with education levels (I've got an associates with another 20-30 credits on top), just experience and working knowledge.

Now, if you want to continue this further we can either take it to PM, or, if it stays civil keep it here where everyone can see it. I'd prefer that to be honest. Your call.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Getting back on topic.

Seals for compartments and equipment bags are useful things, especially in a slower-paced squad. These only work when the folks who seal them are disciplined enough to completely check them before sealing.

If used correctly, they speed rig checks... I have to check O2, immobilization supplies, and a few other things... I don't need to count 4x4's. If the seal is broken, there is more stuff to check.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
I agree that the whole thing is an accountability type delimma. I have seen both people who do a insanely through rig check, and people who dont even do one. (i know one guy on our service who if he is working, can tell you exactly how many kiddie bandaids we have, No, not how many boxes... How many individual bandaids.)

Now I am gonna fall back on my Associates in Comp Sci, and say what i most approve of. When i was taking classes for Computer Science, I did alot of work with RFID tech.
I personally think that using RFID would be the best solution, but needs to be built into the rig itself. IE. The on board computer keeps a live count of the number of items and what kinds. Open a compartment, turns system on. remove something, it gets logged, add something, it gets logged... its a very percise system, somewhat expensive to implement, but costs are going down. As i am writing this, the version i am working on runs about $10,000 per rig. but can be made cheaper.
I am working on a version of this system in my spare time. (Ok, i am a bored geek when i am off duty. I build things. I have the Shell of the old Medium Duty ambulance, that works great as a test bed for my equipment ideas, now that it is fully retired. It now sits in my driveway and not much else until i rebuild the Detroit Diesel in it.)

mark111

Forum Probie
It is up to the medic working the truck to chech all stock items in the truck before it is put into use. ? do you want to be responseable for someones death , or lack of treatment because something is missing off the truck?

mark111

Forum Probie
It is up to the medic working the truck to chech all stock items in the truck before it is put into use. ? do you want to be responseable for someones death , or lack of treatment because something is missing off the truck? its your life choice .