Should locks be used?

Hopper

Forum Probie
We do daily rig checks at least three times a week for each rig and the FRV.There is a sergent assigned to a rig to do the inspections.Here's my issue,they want to put plastic locks on the equipment.Such as the the cabnets,portable O2 bag,trauma and jump kit.I'm told the locks break easy or I can cut with my sissors.They say it helps them to lessen their inspection time.I'm not comfortable with the idea.Do other squads or transport services do this? Would really like here the pros/cons about this. Thanks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Locks, are used nationally on busy EMS units everywhere. Not an uncommon event as long as the tag is marked for expiration dates.

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly
They did it at my company and it was a disaster waiting to happen. Yes the tags come off easy and it's a useful system, if implemented correctly. Hiring Jim Bob off the street and paying them minimum wage is not implementing it correctly. It will only take a few instances of a tagged cabinet or bag missing equipment and no one will trust the tags. While it works in the hospital, the hospital has something that EMS units don't. Other sources for medications and the ability to get replacement supplies quickly. Also the people who work in central supply generally get paid more than minimum wage.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
We do daily rig checks at least three times a week for each rig and the FRV.There is a sergent assigned to a rig to do the inspections.Here's my issue,they want to put plastic locks on the equipment.Such as the the cabnets,portable O2 bag,trauma and jump kit.I'm told the locks break easy or I can cut with my sissors.They say it helps them to lessen their inspection time.I'm not comfortable with the idea.Do other squads or transport services do this? Would really like here the pros/cons about this. Thanks

How long does it take to do a rig check? I know where I am it does not take long at all. And checking the 3 rigs could be done by each crew member at once. I wouldn't feel safe trusting a tag becasue you always have the "lazy person" who will just throw a tag on their any way. Secondly lets say your doing a 12 hr shift or even less what are you going to do for all of that time? Drive around? I say check the rig completely and dont rely on the crew before you to have tagged/checked the bags.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
How long does it take to do a rig check? I know where I am it does not take long at all. And checking the 3 rigs could be done by each crew member at once. I wouldn't feel safe trusting a tag becasue you always have the "lazy person" who will just throw a tag on their any way. Secondly lets say your doing a 12 hr shift or even less what are you going to do for all of that time? Drive around? I say check the rig completely and dont rely on the crew before you to have tagged/checked the bags.

It should take at the least 30 to 40 minutes to check an EMS unit, if does not either you did not check it well or you do not carry much. Like I said, I am no fan of them, but one has to see both sides.

For those that have no experience or education in fleet system management (FSM). Yes, personally I do not like it, but that is not the point. FSM uses such to prevent waste, make sure that the unit is properly stocked at par level (not under or over) as well if that truck is not stocked properly, guess who gets in trouble? Obviously, you never have worked at a busy EMS, where you will respond to 15+ calls in a 12 hour shift.

Drive around all day?

Do you not know about Systems Status Management? Yes, the majority of EMS works that type of system! Most EMS (at least ones that make a decent call volume) are not stationed in a base. The EMS units are placed at stand-by locations due to research of where high volume of calls occur during the day. This system is researched and highly effective, even though I hate working that type. Yes, you drive and park and make lots of calls, you do not have time to re-stock. The tab lock system allows you to pull in an the fleet service can immediately restock your unit. I have worked where coming on duty, you had calls awaiting, so there is no time to even check your unit. Down time = no money, and EMS is a business.

R/r 911

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Do you not know about Systems Status Management? Yes, the majority of EMS works that type of system! Most EMS (at least ones that make a decent call volume) are not stationed in a base.
R/r 911

I guess I do not. Where I live you ARE stationed at a base and we leave when we get a job. Or for food/shooping/to kill time. Which is why from MY point of view in our area it akes more sense to check each rig entirely

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I guess I do not. Where I live you ARE stationed at a base and we leave when we get a job. Or for food/shooping/to kill time. Which is why from MY point of view in our area it akes more sense to check each rig entirely

I agree, that is why I do not like the system, but understand it. (One can agree to disagree aas well most adminstrators do NOT really care for your view.. you are an employee). That is why I am attempting to educate you on the business of EMS. Majority of major EMS services have adopted this type of system. This reduces response time ( as most cities has fines to EMS, if they have a delayed response > 8 minutes). It is popular among metro type providers because of the reduced number of units required, and placing of EMS units strategically. The days of sitting around awaiting a call has almost came to a hilt in most towns, alike Fire Services productivity is the key to keeping one's job.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Hopper, we have these plastic ziptie-like tags "sealing" the cabinets, drug bag, first-in bag, and ET kits. There is a specific inventory for each kit, cabinet, bag, etc...and each seal has the employee's number on it and the most upcoming expiration date (if that makes sense) of the drug, ET tube, catheter, etc. There are some on here that say "don't trust seals"...and that's OK. It's easy to tear the seal off and check the bag or cabinet for inventory. Also, at least once a month we go through each rig, tear the seals on the bags/cabinets, and inventory each for accuracy. Additionally, when there are inaccuracies noted, there is a employee number on the seal, so there is some sort of accountability to be had with this system. Is it perfect? Probably not, as I'm sure it will be dismissed on here...but it has worked well for us.

br16

Forum Ride Along
how does putting tags on them make it faster for the sergants to check in the rigs? I work at an only ems..we use them only on drug kits....at the FD i work on we only use one on the narcs kit but we lock the thomas pack or jump bag in a locked cabinet.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If the cabinet is sealed then everything should be in side. Therefore, when checking out a unit you only have to check out the unsealed cabinets and bags.

We do daily rig checks at least three times a week for each rig and the FRV.

60% of the time it works every time? /Anchorman reference.

RailFan77

Forum Crew Member
If the cabinet is sealed then everything should be in side. Therefore, when checking out a unit you only have to check out the unsealed cabinets and bags.

The key word here is SHOULD

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I have used them before. I would still remove them and completely inventory the unit. Its amazing how easy it is to overlook something after stocking unit after unit, day after day. Plus, we use so much equipment daily that it was a futile effort and became more of a hinderance. Then there was also the issue with expiration dates, at least 80% of all of our expendable equipment had one. Too much of a hassle....................

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
we use that system only for our BLS meds (asprin, albuterol, glucometer, and epi-pens) which are in our two rigs and FRV the lock got put on it when the bag was completed and anytime a basic has to use it, they resock it with whatever is necessary then lock it again and record it in a log book that we have..works pretty good, as for the rest of the rig, we do two checks a day one at 0600 (day crew) and the other at 1800 (night crew) because you never know what the other crew used and didn't tell you about..

firecoins

IFT Puppet
certain cabinets we don't often use get locked. I don't like it though. I prefer to check the entire rig.

OP
OP
H

Hopper

Forum Probie
I'm not at all for this lock idea.I like to check our duty rig and the equipment when it's my night to ride.I feel more secure and comfortable for myself.If I cannot see what's in the bag or box,I'll have alot of questions running thorough my head when I'm going to do pt. care with it.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You should be checking the rig each and every shift. Regardless of wether you work in a system status service or not. With 2 people doing it, it can be accomplished in under 30 minutes. And if it takes you multiple attempts to get it done due to calls...tough. If you need to come in a bit early to get it done...tough. It is the ONLY way to ensure that all your equipment is there and in workable order.

That being said, if you do use a lock type system to reduce the number of times it gets done...it can work if done right. Each rig should still be gone over with a fine toothed comb at least once a week, and whoever applies the lock should also have to list out their name and the date it was applied. Accountability matters; if you work in a system where a daily rig check isn't being done then it is YOUR responsibility to replace equipment each time it's used. If you don't and act as if you have, then it's your *** that should end up in a sling.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you need to come in a bit early to get it done...tough. It is the ONLY way to ensure that all your equipment is there and in workable order.

Sure, and if I'm at work and working, then I'm on the clock. I'm sure that most managers aren't going to look kindly at workers coming in early and getting extra pay.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure, and if I'm at work and working, then I'm on the clock. I'm sure that most managers aren't going to look kindly at workers coming in early and getting extra pay.
That's really going to depend on where you work and on you personally. If you are willing to go a bit further to ensure that you will be able to provide adequate care then 30 minutes of unpaid time is no big deal. Hell, the vast majority of people I know are at work well before their shifts start anyway and none of that is on the clock.

Most employers would not be to upset if an employee offered to check the rig free of charge so to speak. For why someone would do that, see above.

And if you really are that anal about your pay and completely unwilling to put in extra effort...then do it while you are working. Since you've talked in the past about how important a portable DVD player can be, you apparently will have plenty of time to check a rig.

And where is it that you work again? Oh wait...you don't.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
That's really going to depend on where you work and on you personally. If you are willing to go a bit further to ensure that you will be able to provide adequate care then 30 minutes of unpaid time is no big deal.

Not a chance in hell. If i'm there, I'm getting paid. I can check off the truck when my shift starts. The truck is in service regardless. Coming in 30 minutes early without pay equals an extra $1500 per year in unpaid wages. That a little more than chump change............

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a chance in hell. If i'm there, I'm getting paid. I can check off the truck when my shift starts. The truck is in service regardless. Coming in 30 minutes early without pay equals an extra $1500 per year in unpaid wages. That a little more than chump change............
That's fine. My point was that if you really and truly are unable to check your rig during your shift (I'd be really surprised at that) and still want to ensure that your equipment is there your only option will be to come in early. I agree, if you can do it on shift, do it on shift.