Should i study pre medical?

pinochello

Forum Ride Along
I wanted to ask. Iv bin a paramedic for a year and a half in puerto rico. And the truth is i want some thing more. I love being a paramedic but.... the truth is iv seen that almost anybody that takes a course in a year can be a paramedic in puerto rico. Even if you still don't have your full lic. You can work on the street and thanks to this most doctors and nurses don't respect us.

I'm thinking of going back to school and taking the whole medical course but i first want to know what other paramedics with more experience think.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me, and forgive my bad spelling.
:sad:

paramedicmike

Forum Probie
Why does it matter what other people think?

Do you want to be a doctor? Yes? Then go do it! No? Then find something you want to do.

Buena suerte!

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
I'm not a paramedic but I think if you really like it and you're good at being a medic, then you should go to medical school. (or finishing medic school, I'm not really sure what you meant) good luck!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Pino, are you asking about going to MEDICAL school to be a doctor? Or are you asking about going to PARAMEDIC school to become a higher level of paramedic?

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm quite sure he means MEDICAL school, under the observation of pre med in the title and his training level at EMT-P...

If you wanna, why not do it?

OP
OP
pinochello

pinochello

Forum Ride Along
Well im a little scared of finding that after im half there, not being good at it.
After all its one thing to take care of a pte on the streat were no one can say your wrong, its another thing to be under the microscope of many other docter and enployes.
I want to be a docter but im worried that i mit be going into it at a to old age.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If you want to be a doctor, go be a doctor. Don't let your age make the decision for you. In fact, I don't really think that your age will affect you that much. If anything, it will help, as you will have more life experience than the other med students who you will be with.

In regards to being under the "microscope" of others, the only thing that will come from that will be a better, more thorough understanding of medicine. Criticism is, in nearly all situations, constructive. It is all part of the process, and the criticism will make you a better physician. Don't skip medical school because you are afraid that you will be critiqued.

Also, the fact that you are worrying that you won't be good at being a doctor seems like a good sign. In order to be good at something, you have to care.

Best of luck!

Eric

(N.B.: I am not in the medical field, so take this for what its worth.)

firecoins

IFT Puppet