Shopping for helicopters...

Dr.NREMT-B

Forum Probie
HEMS is way too competitive which is why I call Bravo Sierra on their methods and tactics. Whoever is called is not my problem. If I need a bird I don't give a rat's hairy patooty who's bird it is as long as they get my pt where they need to go.

Absolutely Agree!!! It is your job as a ground guy to do what you can for the patient - who cares if you wake someone up or tick someone off. I hate listening to my pilots complain about weather checks at 3 AM when someone is in need of HEMS in the boonies, but I do understand their complaint becaues I like my sleep as well. I would give a rats if I knew that they were giving me false times or one company was much better trained. But, everyone is licensed and most are CAMTS Accredited, so I sleep well knowing that people are getting much better care than most everywhere else in the world.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Are pilots allowed to sleep on shift? I thought they were on shorter shifts and had to remain awake for the purposes of weather checks and being flight ready?

Dr.NREMT-B

Forum Probie
Are pilots allowed to sleep on shift? I thought they were on shorter shifts and had to remain awake for the purposes of weather checks and being flight ready?

I am in Missouri (I see you did some undergrad work at Wash U) and our pilots can sleep on shift. When tones are dropped, they wake up and do a weather check.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I am in Missouri (I see you did some undergrad work at Wash U) and our pilots can sleep on shift. When tones are dropped, they wake up and do a weather check.

I was not aware of the pilots sleeping. I was at Childrens until I graduated this past May, and I know the docs/nurses/medics staffing kid copter were allowed to sleep, but I was under the impression the pilot was not (since he took kid copter back to a different base with him after dropping off our crews).

Gosh you blokes are so spoilt, we have um, one helicopter?

We generally only have one helicopter per hospital too! ;) At least you guys don't have to worry about which one to call!

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
It depends on the service and the pilot. I believe if it is a private service (out of hospital), then if the pilots sleeps that is fine if not expected for safety. I've also seen pilots on nights do both. Some rest as much as possible Because They can awaken clear headed quickly. Other cannot so they basically pull nightshift intentionally for safety. Depends on the pilot.