Shooting in Aurora Colorado

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
http://abcnews.go.com/US/aurora-col...es-phd-student/story?id=16817842#.UAmQ2aB0h8E

I keep wondering how EMS responded to this, and how does scene safety work in this situation? I also can't help but wonder what would make this guy crack like this, and why in the world aren't his parents surprised?

Is there anything that parents can do if they think their adult children are a threat? Can an involuntary psychiatric hold be placed on someone because someone else thinks their homicidal?

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
EMS responds to a STAGING location until police secure the scene. which sounds like it was done rather quickly in the parking lot. then EMS does the ems thing... you know triage.

People crack for a multitude of reasons, he probably has a history of violent or anti-social behavior which is why his parents aren't surprised.

yes he can be put on a hold, but only if he gives sufficient evidence that he is a danger to himself or others. ie, telling somebody that he was going to go to a crowded theater and kill everyone would have gotten him a hold.

correction, they're ,not their, would be the appropriate word in this sense.

OP
OP
ShannahQuilts

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
So basically EMS waits until the police have determined that they have all shooters in custody. What about the unexploded bomb that was found?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
At the very beginning of the shooting before the scene was "safe" they had multiple officers bypass EMS and take patients directly to the hospital.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
I listened to the police tape they released and it sounded horrific - I have never been near a scene of that magnitude. Anyone in the CO area know anything about problems or victories that occurred EMS side?