Sharing Training Ideas Anyone??

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
@luke_31 was it Dillon’s? He’s the only one I can see coming off as a little dry.

Ironically enough I did the same things you were when I took their FMP. I took notes and double backed a lot.

I really liked how the gal taught ABG’s and felt overall, they all do a good job at their respective subject matters. I’m not big on cardiology, but felt he dumbs it down for even me. Same with hemodynamics.

Judging by the OP’s responses, I do not know that this would end well, or in his favor; especially if everyone was honest.
I don’t remember the guy’s name off hand. It was the cardiology section that I’m talking about.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Fun is not something that really crosses my mind when I put together monthly CE classes for agencies that get medical direction from the hospital I teach for. Really it comes down to two things for me, being engaging and making sure my audience gets something useful out of the class. To be engaging requires being prepared, and part of that comes down to knowing your audience. Most of the folks I teach are volunteers in super rural areas. They might be waiting a long time for a transport ambulance or helicopter, so you bet I'm going to tailor whatever topic we have that month to their environment. Too often people have one canned class for the same topic that they give to everyone from ALS transport agencies to BLS first response and that is not showing people you value their time.

The other part of knowing your audience is not trying to get too cute with CE. Most of my students have full time jobs and are coming in after working hard all day. Unless I know for sure they want to play a game, I am more than happy to give them a brief talk, have them ask questions, and then practice skills that they are actually going to do. We don't play a lot of games or have competitions as this really doesn't land well for such an audience. When I teach at the paramedic program we do a lot more of that as it's a larger group of younger people that are in class all day.

Final point, ask your groups if your teaching is working for them and what they want to do more of. This is isn't rocket surgery.

Last edited: