Sepsis and exacerbation of copd

RRTMedic

Forum Crew Member
This goes without saying, IMO, but good point.

When we started doing "Sepsis Alerts" in my previous EMS company, it seemed that I could make anyone fit the criteria to call it in, start bilateral IVs, give 500 cc of fluid, and potentially start a pressor if their BP was low. I know it goes without saying, but I'm afraid we all get tied up in protocols at times and forget to look at the big picture and to see what is really going on. I know I catch myself doing that at times ;)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When we started doing "Sepsis Alerts" in my previous EMS company, it seemed that I could make anyone fit the criteria to call it in, start bilateral IVs, give 500 cc of fluid, and potentially start a pressor if their BP was low. I know it goes without saying, but I'm afraid we all get tied up in protocols at times and forget to look at the big picture and to see what is really going on. I know I catch myself doing that at times ;)
Yeah, I don't think you're wrong for pointing it out, @RRTMedic, I just think it's an issue when we as a whole have to constantly point it out to the not-so-critical-thinking inclined providers:)

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Our criteria is:
1. Known source of infection AND 2 of the following 3 vitals:
a. Temp over 99.4
b. HR over 90
c. RR over 20

I cannot fit everybody into this nor find starting fluids to be a bad thing in the presence of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk