Self-education on the side

mct601

RN/NRP
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to formally educate myself to do work, this is for expanding my own knowledge. I like to learn.

Anyways, I have this and next semester before I transfer into my university's BSN program. I'm working full time as an EMT (obviously), and I'm around the ALS stuff all day (i.e. the drugs, ECG, etc) and I'm DYING to expand my knowledge to understand some of this. my medics explain it to me, but its not always in the most formal of language and I prefer getting it straight from a source. Can anyone point me into the direction of good textbooks to learn some arrythmias, possibly pharmacology? I want to LEARN LEARN LEARN. I wish I could take a paramedic class but it'd only delay my end goal :(

JPINFV

Gadfly
ECGs: Dubin is a good source for learning EKGs and rhthms, even if you are supporting a pedobear.

Pharmacology: One thing you might want to see is if your university has access to "Access Medicine." Access Medicine includes access to Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine and a couple of pharm textbooks.

If you want a good clinical micro book, check out Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple

OP
OP
mct601

mct601

RN/NRP
Thank you very much, I will look into them. I'll probably order the ECG book soon.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think the Walraven Basic Arrythmias book is better if you want to be good at reading EKGs, it is basically a workbook, but I have found it is the best resource for paramedic students. (wwho are usually quite adept at reading EKGs by the end.)

OP
OP
mct601

mct601

RN/NRP
The Dubin book I have found cheap, and I know the local schools use Walraven. I know a girl in a medic class that should be done in Jan... I'll buy the Dubin book and then acquire her Walraven when she's done with it

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The Dubin book I have found cheap, and I know the local schools use Walraven. I know a girl in a medic class that should be done in Jan... I'll buy the Dubin book and then acquire her Walraven when she's done with it

I don't make any money off of it, but I m not sure how useful a used workbook will be.

One of the best things about the Walraven book is it makes you practice interpretation. If the answer and process is already written, it may not work as well for you.