Seekers who are good actors!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Try crushing even just 4 percocet pills and look at the amount of powder created, its a line the size of a pen. Won't work for the nasal route.

You'd be surprised.

first off I don't know where you are getting your prices!

They sound accurate in most markets I've worked with the exception of DC. Those prices are about average for most of the Midwest outside of Chicago.

I'll take the time to explain the nasal route to you because you obviously do not understand how these people are using pills.

Actually I'm willing to bet money that MedicRob knows more than enough about the "nasal route" since he's one of the smartest people on this forum.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Although, there seems to be a trend towards methadone for severe refractory pain.

That explains the recent spike in methadone OD deaths around here.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
first off I don't know where you are getting your prices!

Well, my brother is in the penitentiary right now for prescription fraud and manufacture of schedule II substances (Methamphetamine).. His big thing was the trafficking of narcotics and proliferation of D-methamphetamine. $7.50 - $10 was his price and the price of every other junky he dealt with for an endocet 10.

Not to mention this quote from the DEA:

" According to reports from DEA field offices, oxycodone products sell at an average price of $1 per milligram"

$1 x 10mg = $10
$1 x 5 mg = $5

Source: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugs_concern/oxycodone/summary.htm

I'll take the time to explain the nasal route to you because you obviously do not understand how these people are using pills. Yes, people do snort percocet, but they are primarily users who don't know what they are doing.

Sure, go right ahead because obviously my BS of Chem didn't teach little ole me about the adsorption of 4,5-epoxy-14-hydroxy-3-methoxy-17-methyl-morphinan-6-one, dihydrohydroxycodeinone it's analogues or derivatives..

Perhaps next you can educate me on absorption in the gastric mucosa and the role pKa plays in the ionization of drug particles for diffusion.. Hell, perhaps you can tell me why Phenythalamines with methyls at the 3,4, and 5 positions are more readily absorbed as opposed to those with methyls at the 2,4, and 6 positions..

The nasal route is chosen by users because it is a faster route of administration. When users crush and snort pills containing higher amounts acetaminophen than oxycodone, the oxy absorption is reduced due to the surface area in the nares that is occupied by acetaminophen.

Thus, slowing the absorption to a rate slower or equal than PO. It also causes nasal congestion.

Point: educated users use pills with no "bunk".

This explanation is limited at best.. How about explaining why the nasal route is a "faster route", the overall role surface area plays within the nasal mucosa in absorption, and cite me literature showing these compounds to be less effective than those containing no acetaminophen?

Do you even know what the acetaminophen is there for? If your thought is binder, you would be incorrect. It actually potentiates the effects of most derivatives of the papaver somniferum (Opium Poppy).

As far as the synthesis of this compound goes, the Rice Synthesis (The most common method with highest yields for the synthesis of Oxycodone) states that the carboxylation of isovanillin resultant in 3-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzoic acid, a chemical which is then reacted with 3-methoxyphenethylamine to yield a chemical whose properties are such that it can be regioselectively brominated to form an analogue where the bromine acts as a blocking group (Preventing para-coupling in cyclization) .. Upon cleavage of the bromine, methylation of the amine occurs resulting in "dihydrocodeinone" which is then demethylated and hydrogenated to result in morphine. At this point, selective methylation of the 3-hydroxy group on the morphine ring is performed by way of trimethylphenylammonium ethoxide to form Codeine.. Once codeine is oxidized, it becomes codeinone, which now is hydroxylated to form 15-hydroxycodeinone aka Oxycodone, but no... I wouldn't know anything about chemistry or drug absorption...

Thanks so much for educating a simpleton like me on "Nasal Absorption" and it's relation to the surface area of a molecule. :)

Also, why in the hell would someone snort 4 percocets at once? It only takes 1 to get the effect... Oxycodone hydrochloride (without the tylenol) is the same amt of mg..

Your logic is flawed.

1 Percocet 10 = 10 mg Oxycodone and 325 mg Tylenol
1. Oxycodone 10 = 10 mg Oxycodone

4 Percocet 10 = 40 mg Oxycodone (4 times the dose of 1 oxycodone 10)

So it is more logical to say that:

Since 1 oxycodone 10 is 10mg oxycodone, a user would have to snort 1 percocet for the same effect.. Not 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

nogie1717

Forum Ride Along
"99.9% of drug addicts are not smart. The remaining 0.1% have better established sources of the pain meds than pulling fast ones on the

In 15+ years, I've never encountered one. Then again, unless someone is burned or obviously have something broken, they get nitrous or Toradol"

You have undoubtedly encountered one, you were bamboozled. I understand the authors thread, but you can't spot the best, because you don't think they are faking for pain meds or anti anxiety pills.

Just because someone has an addiction has nothing to do with their intelligence.

18G

Paramedic
Your attitude is typical of most health care providers. The addict is seen as a screw up, a loser, one with no self control, one who is lacking intelligence. As a former addict and now a speaker at addict meetings, I can tell you, addicts are not those things mentioned above.

The AMA has determined that addiction is a disease, yet addiction still carries a stigma and the accompanying disdain. You have cancer and everyone supports you, your an addict and screw you, it is your fault.

This stigma will carry on for years to come, but health-care providers should educate themselves about this disease as it is at pandemic levels.

Addicts are not bad people, they are not losers as many of you think, they are people in turmoil, they suffer and they hurt.

Genetic research has unraveled many of the mysteries of the addict, as science and biology continues to progress this baffling disease may be eradicated in our lifetime. Until then, how about a little tolerance?

I tend to agree. We don't know everyone's story. We don't know what may have led up to the addiction. It is never a right choice to use but perhaps it was the only choice a person felt they had and was their only escape. Not all addicts are party goers who just love to get high. Many would give anything to escape the addiction and lifestyle.

A lot of addicts feel horrible about themselves and the fact they are the way they are. How would you feel to be bound by something that controls your life and destroys it and the people around you. Some addicts take their own life because of addiction and the emotional, social, and physical pain associated with it.

The same stigma holds true with suicidal patients. Unless you have been so severely depressed and hopeless to feel that the only end to your suffering is by taking your own life, than you have no room to comment on how someone is feeling or why a person made the life ending attempt or success. Again, you don't know your patient's story. Don't apply your own life experiences and upbringing to someone else because chances are you have no idea and can't even began to imagine what they've experienced.

I personally hate the cracks and jokes directed towards suicidal patients. It just show a pure ignorance on part of the healthcare provider who thinks its amusing. The same holds true with the addict. Yes, many are low-life's that just enjoy the high... but not everyone fits that mold.

Don't be condescending. Show these PEOPLE caring and respect. You may be the only person in their life to do that and you would be surprised at the impact it may have even if just for a moment.

Last edited by a moderator: