Securing 12 Lead/AED

domesticgodemt

Forum Probie
10
0
0
Has anybody heard of an ambulance being involved in an MVA where an unsecured 12 Lead hit the pt. and caused head trauma? As in the squad's insurance adjuster went home sick that day, the pt.'s attorney just bought an island for her retirement home, and the pt. now owns the agency?

More importantly, how do you secure your 12 Lead/AED during rig operation? Manufacturer's docking station $$$$, seatbelts, jerry rig by one of your squad's master mechanics, never thought about securing a $15-25,000 instrument weighing 20 pounds?
 

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
3,142
4
0
Suction cup feet for the counter, and strap it to the bench seat w/ a seatbelt when you get in someone elses ambulance i.e. intercept.
 

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
8,009
58
48
Originally posted by domesticgodemt@May 10 2005, 08:55 AM
never thought about securing a $15-25,000 instrument weighing 20 pounds?
Too true.

my squads AED's are all in cabinets, except for ONE that is on the shelf in the action area - the shelf has a igh lip, and there is enough other "junk" there so as not to be an issue.... never had a proble.

As for an AED - if i'm activly using an AED on the patient we are ALL going to NOT be buckled in, pumping, blowing and playing medic, and the truck will be red-lining the engine, prbably. (we will pull over to shocke....)

When I worked Private - the LP10 always fit nicley on the back of the strecher on the net - had no real problems, the strecher head was usually down on top of it, and the monitor wasn't secured by anything but gravity. ne of the Co's I worked for ued Propaqs and Zoll M-series - they both fit nicely on the clapm-on rack that goes over the pt's legs, and they had straps to secure the monitor and other toys.

As for LP12's and 10's in 911 - they are usually either placed on the net at the head of the bed, or lying on a bench seat. Never seen them secured by a seatbelt.


Jon

PS:
When the time comes for me to spec out my own ALS bus, the twin LP12's will have charging cradles mounted in the back ;)
 

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
2,088
1
0
At the Corps we have the big metal docking stations. At the FD, the Zoll BARELY fits on the counter beneath the cabinets - we can hardly get it in and out so it seems pretty secure as is.
 

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
99
1
0
we have a make shift velcro strap thats bolted to the wall with a good foot and a half of velcro, loop thru the handle and velcro it.
 

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
2,165
10
0
dont know about everybody else, but all the lp12's i've seen have some sort of system to mount to the stretcher via the side bars. always see em hanging off like in hallways and what not

anyway, my aed lives in a cabinet
 

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
8,009
58
48
Originally posted by KEVD18@May 10 2005, 08:04 PM
dont know about everybody else, but all the lp12's i've seen have some sort of system to mount to the stretcher via the side bars. always see em hanging off like in hallways and what not

anyway, my aed lives in a cabinet
'round here, we don't do that, 'cause then the medic has it knee-cap him in the back of the bus.

Jon
 

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
2,165
10
0
fair nuff
 

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
145
0
0
Our LP12 lives in a cabinet when not in use. When in use it usually sits on the bench or between the pt's legs. Never thought about it flying around in the event of a crash. I imagine it could leave a mark. As for damaging the machine... I wouldnt worry about that. The sales rep is notorious for picking one up, throwing it against a wall, then turning it on. (if you ever have a rep do the demo, make sure you ask for a different machine just to make sure ;) .)
 

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
2,088
1
0
Originally posted by cbdemt@May 11 2005, 07:20 PM
Our LP12 lives in a cabinet when not in use. When in use it usually sits on the bench or between the pt's legs. Never thought about it flying around in the event of a crash. I imagine it could leave a mark. As for damaging the machine... I wouldnt worry about that. The sales rep is notorious for picking one up, throwing it against a wall, then turning it on. (if you ever have a rep do the demo, make sure you ask for a different machine just to make sure ;) .)
except when the probie drops it and it lands on the connector for the modulator and strips the wiring. It was a great excuse for why I didn't transmit my patient's strip to medical control... LOLOLOL
 

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
5,515
401
83
Our LifePak 12s are seat-belted to the squad bench when not in use. When in use they're on the bench.

The AEDs are stored on the shelf with our jump bags and portable suctions.

I couldn't even imagine all the crap that I would hit if the ambulance had an accident.
 

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
8,009
58
48
Originally posted by MMiz@May 11 2005, 11:22 PM
Our LifePak 12s are seat-belted to the squad bench when not in use. When in use they're on the bench.

The AEDs are stored on the shelf with our jump bags and portable suctions.

I couldn't even imagine all the crap that I would hit if the ambulance had an accident.
I once saw a video of an ambulance that was wrecked with dummies in all the seats.

Baby in moms hands on litter.... projectile. killed Crew chief...

bags, monitors and other junk clobbered mom and crew chief...

Jon
 

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
8,009
58
48
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 16 2005, 01:25 PM
What is the projectile?

The monitor or the baby?
baby
 

ECC

Forum Captain
389
0
0
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 11 2005, 09:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 11 2005, 09:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cbdemt@May 11 2005, 07:20 PM
Our LP12 lives in a cabinet when not in use.  When in use it usually sits on the bench or between the pt's legs.  Never thought about it flying around in the event of a crash.  I imagine it could leave a mark.  As for damaging the machine... I wouldnt worry about that.  The sales rep is notorious for picking one up, throwing it against a wall, then turning it on.  (if you ever have a rep do the demo, make sure you ask for a different machine just to make sure  ;) .)
except when the probie drops it and it lands on the connector for the modulator and strips the wiring. It was a great excuse for why I didn't transmit my patient's strip to medical control... LOLOLOL [/b][/quote]
When I was an A3 we would whistle into the phone to make it sound like we were giving it the old college try for transmitting the strip.

:D
 

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
5,515
401
83
Originally posted by ECC@May 16 2005, 08:48 PM
When I was an A3 we would whistle into the phone to make it sound like we were giving it the old college try for transmitting the strip.

:D
LOLOL, that's great. I'm still lauging.
 

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
2,088
1
0
Originally posted by ECC@May 16 2005, 08:48 PM
When I was an A3 we would whistle into the phone to make it sound like we were giving it the old college try for transmitting the strip.

:D
Yeah, SCEMS just started making us transmit anything that's not RSR... I have yet to transmit one strip, and no one has said a word to me yet, including medical control when I do the post call 34...
 

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
50
0
0
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 16 2005, 10:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 16 2005, 10:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ECC@May 16 2005, 08:48 PM
When I was an A3 we would whistle into the phone to make it sound like we were giving it the old college try for transmitting the strip.

:D
Yeah, SCEMS just started making us transmit anything that's not RSR... I have yet to transmit one strip, and no one has said a word to me yet, including medical control when I do the post call 34... [/b][/quote]
That's because they like you.... :p
 

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
2,088
1
0
Originally posted by emtal233+May 16 2005, 11:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtal233 @ May 16 2005, 11:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 16 2005, 10:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ECC
@May 16 2005, 08:48 PM
When I was an A3 we would whistle into the phone to make it sound like we were giving it the old college try for transmitting the strip.

:D

Yeah, SCEMS just started making us transmit anything that's not RSR... I have yet to transmit one strip, and no one has said a word to me yet, including medical control when I do the post call 34...
That's because they like you.... :p [/b][/quote]
Well I like you, so HA! :p
 

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
50
0
0
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 16 2005, 11:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 16 2005, 11:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by emtal233@May 16 2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 16 2005, 10:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ECC
@May 16 2005, 08:48 PM
When I was an A3 we would whistle into the phone to make it sound like we were giving it the old college try for transmitting the strip.

:D

Yeah, SCEMS just started making us transmit anything that's not RSR... I have yet to transmit one strip, and no one has said a word to me yet, including medical control when I do the post call 34...

That's because they like you.... :p
Well I like you, so HA! :p [/b][/quote]
:D
 
Top