Second Attendent

What is your S O P on 2nd Attendent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
According to a Health department complance officer, the service i belong to was a pioneer in running with 3. The boss would charge $25.00 for 2nd Attendant. We would get $10.00 in those early days.(27years ago)
Service charge was $125.00, $2.00 per mile(loaded)
I sure like not seeing the billing slips now.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We used to run 3 man units when I first started out. That was 30+ yrs ago.. then for some reason another we started going to two man units... now, we attempt to have 3 man return on serious patients.

R/r 911

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Since my college volly service is continually training new people, we run a 3-man crew 24/7. It's almost like institutionalized ride time, except the 3rd EMT is actually required to do something.
It helps for a lot of our calls, because we only have a couple minutes before ALS shows up, and they like their patients neatly packaged and ready to go as compensation for being out at 0300 on a Saturday.

EMT_5

Forum Ride Along
Volunteers

Being from a rural Volunteer unit, we take what we can get. Sometimes 4 people will respond to a call, other times only 2. We have several I's on board but not always available for calls. It is preferred to have atleast 1 I on board however not always possible.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
We routinely run 3 on a truck. Whether its a student, a Paramedic going through In Charge training, or a volunteer. Sometimes we even have 4 on truck if more than one volunteer wants to ride...........................

disassociative

Forum Captain
Our trucks run 2 attendants one of which MUST be a Paramedic. Alot of times you will see 2 paramedics. The only time we really have more than 2 on the truck is, like Flight-LP said, when we have a student. I personally don't see a problem with running 3 to a truck. I remember a situation where it was myself, and my partner(a 20 yr+ medic), a paramedic student, and an EMT-IV student all on a DKA call. We let the Paramedic student and the EMT student run the call on their own(monitoring their interventions). Everything was great, until the woman threw up red fruit punch; which, at the time--she neglected to tell us that she had ingested. What a fun day.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Being from a rural Volunteer unit, we take what we can get. Sometimes 4 people will respond to a call, other times only 2. We have several I's on board but not always available for calls. It is preferred to have atleast 1 I on board however not always possible.

Ditto. Only we currently have no EMT-I. One EMT-B with IV cert. ALS about 20 minutes away.