Seattle EMTs?

happysteps

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,
I have been interested in EMS for several years; as high school student I was an Explorer for our local fire department, and had hoped to get my EMT certification once I turned 18. Anyway, now I'm 20, and studying something at the U of Washington completely unrelated to EMS. However... I feel like it would be really fulfilling to be a volunteer EMT on the side; plus, who knows, maybe somewhere down the line I will want to do something in EMS.

So, I am considering enrolling in the EMT certification course at a local community college, NSCC (I live in Seattle). Does anyone know if there are any volunteer opportunities in Seattle at all? I would hate to spend the ~$1400 on tuition and books, not to mention the 150 hours of the course, and then not be able to even volunteer anywhere.

Any Seattle people know what the deal is with volunteering in the city?

Thanks!

heathchic1

Forum Ride Along
Seattle EMT

To my knowledge none of the companies in Seattle actually have volunteer EMTS. If you were still interested, i know AMR offers an EMT school for about 750 and thats everything included. After you can take your National test and be able to work as an EMT all over the country. And if you get hired by AMR after you go through their class you can get some of the money back after a year. Might be something to look into!

Hopefully this helps!

jl03

Forum Ride Along
you should look into eastside fire and rescue. I think they do specifically volunteer EMTs and gets them ready for fire eventually. I was looking into them or king county SAR before I got hired by rural metro. good luck