Scoline

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Your sublingual muscles receive blood from four arteries, and shut down later than your peripheries.

If you need to intubate, but don't have IV access, how do you feel about giving s choline IM sublingualy?

I know your protocols will be against it, I'm asking your thoughts on the theory?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am supposing you are discussing the succinylcholine (Anectine) per venous plexus route? Remember it does not really matter upon the arteries, since you will be administering per the venous route anyway. I have administered Epi administered this way with severe angioneurotic edema (anaphylaxis), but would not suggest it otherwise.

Secondly, remember you should administer some form of sedation prior to any administration of paralytic agent.

Good to think things through though.

R/r 911

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
If I was in a hurry I would have gone IO instead of IV. Easy IO guns are nice. How ever, I am not sure if there is a contraindication for this drug IO. I am sure Rid will know the answer to that one.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
You can give Succs IO.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
From what I have studied and reviewed, there is really nothing that can not be given I/O in emergency treatment. Blood, resuscitative medications, RSI, etc. The only medication I can recall reading is TPN (because of the fatty and oil emulsions could cause thrombus and PE's)

I have personally used sternal I/O's for induction of RSI on a trauma patient and it worked great.

Love the EZ I/O, great points guys about the use of I/O as a second and more safer route!

R/r 911