Scenerio ; It's the big one !!!

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Wofford IC to Ops and Logistics - There are 4 additional churches and the board and care that are priorities still . Now that we have enough manpower , let's use the CERT members that are able to supervise light S & R teams . Thier mission will be to search lightly to moderately damaged buildings only . No heavily damaged , gather intell on them only . Let's try to get some into the community also . When you brief them , stress safety and posting lookouts on the left front and right rear of the structures . ( they can each see 2 sides of the building ) We're still getting aftershocks , use caution . Everyone works in at least pairs , no one goes alone . Logistics , make sure you keep track of all departing and returning personnel .

THE ROAD IS NOW OPEN !!!! YAHOO !

Convoys will be here shortly .

New IC has arrived , staff meeting in 20 fictional minutes for debriefing and change of command .

Okay guys , we've taken this about as far as I intended it to go . Thanks for participating . Let's critique this and see how it went .

Craig

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Hi piranah ,

Wish you came in sooner . I kinda switched direction and started doing some role - playing to make it less intimidating and more fun . Don't worry about interupting , all input is valued .

Craig

EMT815

Forum Probie
I read this scenario when it just started and didn't read it again until today. I know I'm a little late to the game but if you need me i would love to jump in and play along.
BTW I have a background in EMS, CERT, HAM radio, ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) and my local OEM team

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
EMT 815

Sorry , you came back a little too late . I may do another role playing scenerio later on .

Craig

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Guys , don't sweat a critique ,
You guys did good , and critiqueing after a large incident is a natural process to point out what went well and where improvements can be made . It's not to be used in a negative way to hang anyone for mistakes . We're all human , these are stressful events , and people do make mistakes . This process is done so we can improve for the next big one .

Just some observations ;

Your personnel's safety is your # 1 concern .

Search and rescue is important , but don't be too quick to jump on it till you know you have enough manpower to do that and handle the expected pt. load in your treatment areas . You may have to dig in and do only treatment till you get more help .

Everyone works in teams of at least 2 , no one works alone , and everyone is logged in and out of staging .

If possible , before they go to work , brief the teams on what to expect , communications ( if no radio , use runners ) , and safety concerns .

Provide for hydration , food , and rehab for your people .

Try to stick to your assigned work tasks . If you have ideas for another staff person , let them know but don't supersede them . This can lead to hard feeling and duplication of effort when you can't afford either .

Teamwork is a major key , along with good communications .

CP , treatment area , and staging need to be set up and managers appointed before anything else is done .

Logistics - make sure you keep track of the status of all resources . When a lot is going on , this can be a challenge .

All section chiefs and dept. heads should keep track of all ongoing tasks being performed so the IC can get updates as needed .

One thing I forgot , when all is said and done , CIS debriefings for your personnel , this could also be done during the incident if you have personnel having problems .

Great job guys , anybody else have input ???

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I think that overall, this one went well, considering.

In the future, if we do another one of these, I think we need a dedicated sysop. This person gets to "play" the "little people." He or she will let us know that "ok the latrines are done" or "your ops person has actually disappeared" as opposed to life getting in the way. The sysop would be the person throwing all the curve balls at the appropriate people. Also, IC is *always* filled first and IC handles all departments not filled. The scenario should not have actually continued without an IC.

I think more of the county is using ICS than we think, they may just be calling it NIMS instead. I know all of the CAP people use it if they're involved in the ES side of things (come on, where are all of you?)

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Great feedback Sapphyre ,

I know you were willing to take IC , but I was hoping one of the more experienced folks would take a crack at it . Don't ask me why , but I got this notion to try you out in a more challenging role . Logistics can be a bigger job than most people realize , and nothing happens without manpower and the gear to do the job . It also takes good skills to keep track of it all and the ability to think on your feet . ( or in this case , while sitting at your computer ) You did a good job .

I was surprised that out of all the views this scenerio got , only a handful actually participated and most of those were students . I felt bad that there were some who waited till the end to want to get involved .

OLD TIMERS , i'M SURPRISED YOU LET THE YOUNG PUPPIES OUTDO YOU !!!

I've never heard of a sysop before , but I like your idea , and next time I'll either have that position for someone , or maybe do it myself . I could get into raising some creative havoc . CURVE BALLS - MY SPECIALTY .

Craig

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
<bows> Thank you much.
About the sysop, that's my geekness showing through. Sysop is short for system operator, and tends to show up in real time (now a days) full motion simulators. It also, long time ago, refered to the person running the BBS (forerunner to the forum). Most recently, I've seen it show up as a position in large training exercises, mostly because the IC was being trained/evaluated as well, so he/she couldn't exactly be in on everything.

Thank you for putting me in logistics, it was certainly an exercise in broadening my vision, and trying not to get way to focused (of course, that didn't work so well, I got way too drilled in on fuel).

And, now, I really should go finish my homework and study guide, and try to read ahead, and iron my uniform and shine my boots. Good thing class isn't til Wednesday, right?!

Capt.Hook

Forum Crew Member
Good job to all involved. It was good to see a major event get handled, even in e-time.

I am not an old timer, nor a student, but I knew early on that I wouldn't be able to participate often enough to be a critical player. I lost out, and will, wishfully, be able to play again.

Certguy, excellent job creating and carrying a scenario for the newly created discussion group. I look forward to more that you and others have to share.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
C.E.R.T exercise! Way to go.

There is a factor which I do not see addressed but which I have seen in real life events (not necessarily emergencies) and was alluded to in the recent post about "inaugural charlie-foxtrots", which is that there are going to be people who simply do not do as they are told, or even stick around at all. My limited real life experience is that, unless they are military under orders, there is an excellent chance that the more intricate and outreaching your response structure, the more likely it is that pieces will "break off". Also, the longer it goes and the hungrier folks get, the more likely they are to go off on their own to spend time on themselves and not in a concerted effort. CERT does not address this because there really is no way to address it except good leadership (as opposed tol management), and keeping your folks fed, rested and busy.
Agree with sapphyer, need a sysop with a script, time elements, etc. You did very well though!!

I just found this. It helps prove an ad hoc forum can do useful things...and they can be fun too! A possible use for the second chat channel? May I share this with my CERT folks?