Scene not safe- why do you still enter?

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
How many EMS and Fire type people were at the show at the Indiana State Fair a few years ago when the stage display blew down and went right to work without waiting to secure the equipment? From what I understand all the people were rescued and transported BEFORE the equipment was secure.
Are we trained to wait till the scene is safe? Yes we are, even on the fire side: but who usually secures the scene? Fire and EMS, sometimes with help of the police: but I was on scene of a stabbing a couple of years ago when the police on scene had an accidental discharge: the police (who were supposedly there to protect us) were the problem at that time, the ones making it unsafe.

If you want to work in a totally secure scene get out of EMS, can't even do that at home

Geez, where on earth do you get off thinking I'm saying I want to work in "totally secure scenes" and telling me to get out of EMS? In no way did I criticize ANYONE for staying on that scene and helping.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry Atlas; that whole post wasn't at you, I should have broken it up better; I saw in your post that you were from Indiana, and put it towards what you may have known from the Stage collapse.

The last line was for the original poster.

but everything I say or do or comment on this last week has pissed someone off, so why not here too

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Sorry Atlas; that whole post wasn't at you, I should have broken it up better; I saw in your post that you were from Indiana, and put it towards what you may have known from the Stage collapse.

The last line was for the original poster.

but everything I say or do or comment on this last week has pissed someone off, so why not here too

Thank you :)

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I guess this mentality is largely based on where you work. As a service that provides rescue services and ID response, we have come to accept and train for scene that are far beyond what other would think as safe. Also knowing that there is a bullet hole in the side of one of my trucks makes the concept of scene safety rather nebulous.

My first mentor told us "Theres no such thing as a safe scene"