Scenario: I need the details!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Fainting disorder?

I recently saw a 14 y/o unconscious, supine, unresponsive to verbal or painful stimuli. Patient was breathing and had HR of 60. I ran to "call a code" while another person stayed with the child. I came back 30 seconds later to find the child AOX3. The only information I got from him before I had to leave the scene was that this happens often and that he has a "fainting" problem. The only symptom he had prior to the incident was a headache.

Everyone says that he was faking, but how do you fake no response to a painful stimuli? What medical condition could he have? Any ideas?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sz disorder. Drugs. Psych. Catalepsy. Hit with bat or piece of ice?

Go to his house and check for mold, or "parneoplastic syndrome" or ??
Kids have a lot of compensatory resilience but not many reserves. They can be teetering but look ok, then look a "little 'off' ", then crash...and spring back up for a while.
I've given up on "painful stimuli", I have that ammonia popped and behind my back as I'm walking up on the scene.:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
narcolepsy?

sixmaybemore

Forum Crew Member
Fainting disorder?

I recently saw a 14 y/o unconscious, supine, unresponsive to verbal or painful stimuli. Patient was breathing and had HR of 60. I ran to "call a code" while another person stayed with the child. I came back 30 seconds later to find the child AOX3. The only information I got from him before I had to leave the scene was that this happens often and that he has a "fainting" problem. The only symptom he had prior to the incident was a headache.

Everyone says that he was faking, but how do you fake no response to a painful stimuli? What medical condition could he have? Any ideas?

I went to school with a girl that did this. I remember everyone thought she faked it - she wasn't though. There was a specific name for the condition. I can't remember what it was though - sorry, I guess that wasn't much help lol.

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I went to school with a girl that did this. I remember everyone thought she faked it - she wasn't though. There was a specific name for the condition. I can't remember what it was though - sorry, I guess that wasn't much help lol.

Myotonia congenita? Like the fainting goats? I LOVE those things....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My youngest did this. Doc said it was probably a blood pressure issue from him growing so fast. When he'd stand up too fast, he'd keel right over.. mornings went something like this....
  1. Muffled sound of alarm going off
  2. Alarm being silenced.
  3. Sound of feet hitting floor
  4. Two steps, large crash
  5. "I'm okay"

We found that keeping him hydrated and having some protein right before bed helped. He got over it!

rmellish

Forum Captain
My youngest did this. Doc said it was probably a blood pressure issue from him growing so fast. When he'd stand up too fast, he'd keel right over.. mornings went something like this....
  1. Muffled sound of alarm going off
  2. Alarm being silenced.
  3. Sound of feet hitting floor
  4. Two steps, large crash
  5. "I'm okay"

We found that keeping him hydrated and having some protein right before bed helped. He got over it!

That happened to me a time or two...always scared my mom.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
That nearly happened to me, too.

Scared my crewchief since I was driving code 3 at 0200hrs.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Ockham's Razor: All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

It's all mental. An anxiety atack can do this and they will NOT respond to pain Sternal rubs, nail bed pinches, the works, they won't register spit.

Hyperventilation Syndrome can also do this. They can breathe their CO2 down so low that they will go unresponsive; even go apneic on you. They will have the GCS of a rock. When their CO2 climbs back high enough, they will wake back up and, depending on how bad it is, start breathing again.