Scariest thing that I have ever witnessed

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

MissouriEMS

Forum Ride Along
Don't ever make promises you don't know if you can keep.

I've never really understood this rule.....
If a person asks if they're going to live, why not just say "well, of course!"

If they live you were right and no harm done. If they die, your not going to receive any complaints from them.

I haven't done this, but I don't see where the harm lies.
This obviously does not apply to other situations, where you may tell a person that their leg is going to be fine, and it ends up getting amputated. That would be a bad idea.

on topic:
I had this same thing happen to me while in Kansas City. We were almost to St. Lukes and a car got T boned when the brakes went out on a truck. Wouldn't call it scary though.
This morning I ran a 59yr male who had a head lac from falling. He was a coumadin patient and had been bleeding for 4 hours! it must of been 1-2L of blood. It was blood to completely saturate the back of his shirt, and create a standing pool that was about 3 foot in diameter, and more that flowed under his bed which i couldn't see.
We were BLS as well so no fluid resuscitation. immobilize, bandage, treat for shock and haul balls to the ER. I was a bloody mess by the time we got to the ER, literally.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've never really understood this rule.....
If a person asks if they're going to live, why not just say "well, of course!"

If they live you were right and no harm done. If they die, your not going to receive any complaints from them.

I haven't done this, but I don't see where the harm lies.
This obviously does not apply to other situations, where you may tell a person that their leg is going to be fine, and it ends up getting amputated. That would be a bad idea.

on topic:
I had this same thing happen to me while in Kansas City. We were almost to St. Lukes and a car got T boned when the brakes went out on a truck. Wouldn't call it scary though.
This morning I ran a 59yr male who had a head lac from falling. He was a coumadin patient and had been bleeding for 4 hours! it must of been 1-2L of blood. It was blood to completely saturate the back of his shirt, and create a standing pool that was about 3 foot in diameter, and more that flowed under his bed which i couldn't see.
We were BLS as well so no fluid resuscitation. immobilize, bandage, treat for shock and haul balls to the ER. I was a bloody mess by the time we got to the ER, literally.

How 'bout:

"Will I still be able to have kids?"
"Am I going to have to have surgery?"
"Are my kids OK?"
"This is going to cost a lot, isn't it?"

These are the real questions that matter. "Am I going to die?" is such a hyperbolic example. There are a thousand smaller questions that you get asked all the time, that really matter to the asker, but are way more subtle, more difficult to answer, and if played well by you, can help relieve anxiety in the meantime.