Scanner Lesson

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
I know there are quite a few threads on scanners, I did the search, but my questions differs a little. Can someone teach me the basics of scanners? Does any scanner work with all police/fire/ems? or are different scanners more for different areas? If I wanted to pick up a scanner to hear local traffic what would I need? Would it work the same when I move out west?

As you can tell I am a real novice so please be patient :)

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
I'll do my best with my limited knowledge - hopefully someone else can come and give more detail.

But basically, there is a range of radio frequencies that a scanner can pick up, which is the range that includes public safety, air traffic, etc etc. So yes, it will work nationwide, but...

Does any scanner work with all police/fire/ems?

No, different radio systems require different types of scanners. For example, if a fire department uses a trunked radio system, you need a scanner that can scan a trunked system. Basically, a trunked radio system is one that utilizes a small number of actual radio frequencies (which have to be assigned to an agency by the FCC), but allows the agency to have tons of "channels" that they can use, called talk groups.
Similarly for digital radio systems (which is what LAPD uses around where I am), you need a scanner that can handle digital transmissions (more expensive than most other scanners).

So try to figure out what type of system your local departments have (a lot of agencies post their radio frequencies online and actually encourage scanning), and get a scanner that can pick up that type of transmission.

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you, that answered exactly what I needed to know, basically I am not going to waist my money right now on a scanner if I am moving to Alberta in a couple months. :)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
007 are those EMS agencies that encourage scanning or other public service agencies? Our area considers all com channels used by EMS "secure" frequencies meaning yes they can be picked up by scanners but legally we can transmit identifying patient information via radio without violating any patient rights. For that reason I could not see any EMS agency encouraging scanning but maybe other areas have different rules for the radio.

P.S. If you have the right scanner you can also pick up cell phones if you want. And no I don't have a scanner but some friends are radio geeks.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
P.S. If you have the right scanner you can also pick up cell phones if you want. And no I don't have a scanner but some friends are radio geeks.

Most scanners can do this if you modify the electronics. Obviously, commercial scanners do not come standard with the ability to pick up cell phone transmissions because that is illegal.

MRE

Forum Captain

The days of listening to cell phones with scanners are gone in the US. Cell service is now completely digital and encrypted so that it cannot be monitored by scanners.

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Possibly either that or Grande Prairie..I am hoping for GP because I have a girlfriend there, but I will take whatever I have to if I cannot get Grande Prairie

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Possibly either that or Grande Prairie..I am hoping for GP because I have a girlfriend there, but I will take whatever I have to if I cannot get Grande Prairie

Probably get GP, but you will definately get Fort Mac no problem lol. Right now I am trying to decided between Calagary, Edmonton, and Fort Mac.

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah Ft. mac is my back up. I am trying to stay away from Calgary and Edmonton, because I am not a fan of the big city. I am more a rural type of guy.

I know there are a few postings in GP right now, so hopefully when my traing is complete next month there will still be some there.

Ft.Mac wouldn't be so bad except that I have a girl in GP, so hence that is my first choice.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Well that makes complete sense. I know Fort Mac can pay cost of living ($1400/month) plus the EMR wages. The only problem is, the big oil city lol. Lots of money + not much to do = lots of druggies lol

I on the other hand love the big city. I will probably be going to Calgary! :D

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you sure you would want to live in ScannerLand? Its an odd place with a very unique population.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There are a few websites that list frequencies for public safety sytems. I know of two in my area
scancapecod.com and scanboston.com
google to see if you can find some in your area. Alternatively, some services around here broadcast their dispatch over the internet-- see if you can find that.
I'll admit to being a whacker and listening to other agencies when I am at work... I want to hear what else is going on in the area.

Good luck!

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Well that makes complete sense. I know Fort Mac can pay cost of living ($1400/month) plus the EMR wages. The only problem is, the big oil city lol. Lots of money + not much to do = lots of druggies lol

I on the other hand love the big city. I will probably be going to Calgary! :D

Yeah I have heard it is a party town because everyones wallet is bulging... Me though I don't drink, do drugs or anything so I will most likely just buy a big screen and watch a lot of movie LOL

I must admit Calgary and Edmonton are a lot more atractive to me than Toronto is LOL I cannot stand even driving through Toronto... just too many people

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah I have heard it is a party town because everyones wallet is bulging... Me though I don't drink, do drugs or anything so I will most likely just buy a big screen and watch a lot of movie LOL

I must admit Calgary and Edmonton are a lot more atractive to me than Toronto is LOL I cannot stand even driving through Toronto... just too many people

Thats what I would do if I lived there too. Work, and watch movies on my wall tv lol :D

Maybe Ill see you in EMT class one day! :p

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Are you sure you would want to live in ScannerLand? Its an odd place with a very unique population.

I grew up in a small fishing town on lake Erie and lived next to my Grandparents and they were on the water and Grandpa always had a scanner running listening to the ship come and go, I guess it is a lot different with EMS though because the ships used to joke around a lot on the radio and it was fun to listen to. I assume they expect more radio discipline for an Paramedics

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Thats what I would do if I lived there too. Work, and watch movies on my wall tv lol :D

Maybe Ill see you in EMT class one day! :p

I am planning on putting in 12-18 months experience before I upgrade to the EMT so I may see you there after all :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Hey...I resemble that comment...:p

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll do my best with my limited knowledge - hopefully someone else can come and give more detail.

But basically, there is a range of radio frequencies that a scanner can pick up, which is the range that includes public safety, air traffic, etc etc. So yes, it will work nationwide, but...

No, different radio systems require different types of scanners. For example, if a fire department uses a trunked radio system, you need a scanner that can scan a trunked system. Basically, a trunked radio system is one that utilizes a small number of actual radio frequencies (which have to be assigned to an agency by the FCC), but allows the agency to have tons of "channels" that they can use, called talk groups.
Similarly for digital radio systems (which is what LAPD uses around where I am), you need a scanner that can handle digital transmissions (more expensive than most other scanners).

So try to figure out what type of system your local departments have (a lot of agencies post their radio frequencies online and actually encourage scanning), and get a scanner that can pick up that type of transmission.

while the above is certainly true, its also not 100% relative to what you want to do.

all of the so called "public safety" scanners sold(at least in the states) scan all bands and are trunk tracking capable. the new models coming on line are apco25 capable as well. as long as you dont buy one of the scanners designed just for listening to stock car races and what not, you should be right as rain.

theres a big gap in what you can spend on a scanner. bottom of the line with very few features, <100 bucks. top of the line with everyhting anybody could want in a scanner, 500+.

mikie

Forum Lurker
great website

www.radioreference.com

Has a Wiki, Forum and Database. Has all you need to know and place to ask about radio operations (especially Ham). Also a regional section to get more specific answers.