SAR First Aid Kit

BrianJ

Forum Probie
Hmm. There's some odd stuff on that list. Personal climbing equipment (Does NASAR II also include rope rescue training?) but not a helmet? Wire? Water purification optional?

Quite a few differences from what I'm used to on top of that, but eh. If it works, and there are different ways of doing stuff like packaging up someone on a litter...

How about the two mandatory quarters to use that wilderness payphone? I thought that list was lacking many items that I use all the time; and had many that seemed worthless.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
How about the two mandatory quarters to use that wilderness payphone? I thought that list was lacking many items that I use all the time; and had many that seemed worthless.

That one raised an eyebrow, but I didn't see much point to going through the checklist and saying "That's odd" or "We don't require that but I can totally understand doing so" or "Yeah, that's the same" for everything. T his is an EMS forum, not a general SAR one, after all...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
That one raised an eyebrow, but I didn't see much point to going through the checklist and saying "That's odd" or "We don't require that but I can totally understand doing so" or "Yeah, that's the same" for everything. T his is an EMS forum, not a general SAR one, after all...

We've revamped the list for our stuff. Water purification is mandatory on ours, but the ropes and hard hats are not. Our high angle stuff is in the SAR pack and is not part of our basic 24 hour pack. We do include a set of prusiks, just because we use them for sooooo many things. The 24 hour pack is supposed to be just enough to provide protection from the elements in the event that you have to search overnight.

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
I'm an EMT-B, plus I'm also in the Civil Air Patrol. (auxiliary of the Air Force) Anyway, I'm our team's medic. I'm also staff (squadron medic) at a major search and rescue school. Pics of my bag below...

Basically a thermomiter, mole skin, med shears, assorted gauze, tweezers, ice/heat packs, space blanket, sharpie, plastic bags, gloves, antiseptic, alcohol wipes, BP cuff, 'scope, splints, duct tape, C-collar, sun screen, chap stick, rescue mask, etc

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I can also get you a list of recommended items for the team medics if you want.

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8116.jpg

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
I'm always throwing things in or out of my SAR pack med kit. I don't carry a c-collar, I always figure I can make one if I need it.
I'm always using up my coban...I know, duct tape works fine, but my patients are always my fellow team members, and they expect a certain level of care.
I always try to use whatever stuff the reach and treat team packed in...the company pays for their supplies, and I buy my own stuff.

Oh, on a side note, last weekend I found that my brand (maybe all of them) of nitrile gloves burns really fast. Really really fast. Keep hands in nitrile away from open flame.
Fire certification + sharp knives = lots of bloody gloves and no biohazard bag. So I "dropped" them into the fire...poof.
Not as cool as smearing stuff with hand sanitizer and lighting it, but impressive.

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
I'm always throwing things in or out of my SAR pack med kit. I don't carry a c-collar, I always figure I can make one if I need it.
I'm always using up my coban...I know, duct tape works fine, but my patients are always my fellow team members, and they expect a certain level of care.

True, you can improvise a C-collar, but it just fits so perfectly around my med bag...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Coban weighs a lot less than a roll of duct tape. I keep some duct tape rolled around one of the emergency blankets. Weight is always going to be a consideration when you are carrying those supplies up switchbacks and down game trails.

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
Coban weighs a lot less than a roll of duct tape. I keep some duct tape rolled around one of the emergency blankets. Weight is always going to be a consideration when you are carrying those supplies up switchbacks and down game trails.

But you can also use duct tape for making shelters, securing the patient to a stokes basket / litter, making an improvised litter, etc. Basically, I already have it, may as well use it.

You made a good point about weight though. It all depends on how much you can carry, how fit you are, and if you are going out in the woods for multiple days, or just to rescue your patient.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to correct you or anything. From looking at your certifications I'm sure you know more than me. Just adding my opinion =)

Last edited by a moderator:

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
But you can also use duct tape for making shelters, securing the patient to a stokes basket / litter, making an improvised litter, etc. Basically, I already have it, may as well use it.

A man after my own heart. You can never have too much duct tape. :D

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I like duct tape for blisters too. Works better than moleskin.

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
I like duct tape for blisters too. Works better than moleskin.

Yeah, just just have to be careful not to pull the skin off, exposing the blister.

Duct tape works best when placed over hotspots to avoid the blisters from forming. That's probably what you meant... Just stating that for the lurkers that may not know.