Sandy Deployment: SoCal to NY

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Did the ambulance crews have a chain of command who could issue orders such as to turn off the ambulances, or to whom they could complain the heat was not working the tents, etc?

OP
OP
D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Did the ambulance crews have a chain of command who could issue orders such as to turn off the ambulances, or to whom they could complain the heat was not working the tents, etc?

Ambulance crews could go to their strike team leader who would then go to the task force leader who would then go to EMS Operations Chief who would then get ahold of fleet services (also at the FOB).

Or the crews could just go up to any of the Incident Management Team and we would in turn contact fleet.

We wanted all the crews to sleep in the tents but we were not going to force anyone. Due to that reason we let the crews run their engines all night to keep warm (some people were not prepared for cold). Also a lot of the ambulances were extremely old and would not start back up after being turned off.

mycrofft

Ambulance crews could go to their strike team leader who would then go to the task force leader who would then go to EMS Operations Chief who would then get ahold of fleet services (also at the FOB).

Or the crews could just go up to any of the Incident Management Team and we would in turn contact fleet.

We wanted all the crews to sleep in the tents but we were not going to force anyone. Due to that reason we let the crews run their engines all night to keep warm (some people were not prepared for cold). Also a lot of the ambulances were extremely old and would not start back up after being turned off.
Sounds like some serious lessons learned. Hope they are remembered.

OP
OP
D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sounds like some serious lessons learned. Hope they are remembered.

Not much we could have done about it. As soon as we were made aware of an issue it was handled fairly quickly. I only heard a couple of the heaters break. 22+ tents each with 2 heaters in it plus spare heaters incase they started to break.

OP
OP
D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
6yzuqypu.jpg

mycrofft

:cool:Kinda like KAF but with more pavement and no grenade and bullet marks on the tower.

OP
OP
D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
:cool:Kinda like KAF but with more pavement and no grenade and bullet marks on the tower.

The airbase wasn't too happy about us drilling holes into the pavement to secure the tents down... :unsure:

mycrofft

HAhaha bet not!!

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
I am not saying things were not done right, just my observations. Nothing that would keep me from doing it over again. Another thing with staying in the tents; it was also easier to stay in the rig for the middle of the night gas run or line move. It seemed like everytime I tried out a tent I spent half the night getting woken up to move my rig. As for the rigs not being turned off...we followed chain of command and got orders to keep them off. People would do it for a bit and then say screw it and just run them. They would use the excuse that they needed to charge phones or their rig wouldn't restart. We all know EMS, people looking for ways to get around things. We had a couple rigs that sucked, we just made sure to start them every hour and let them run for 15min. I don't think there is an actual solution. Except getting stubborn stupid people to realize they are going to the Northern East coast when it is going to be cold...so prepare appropriately. The only other solution would be to rearrange the rigs to allow more wind/airflow to move the fumes. But in the end I realize it is a disaster response and :censored::censored::censored::censored: isn't suppose to be enjoyable or perfected. If I get the call next time I will be there again.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
533689_10101123804408872_624680896_n.jpg

And this has nothing to do with the conversation, it was just pretty cool to see

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
7y9upama.jpg

6 guys all with M-16s. I asked if they wanted to trade that for our ambulance. They said no..

mycrofft

533689_10101123804408872_624680896_n.jpg

And this has nothing to do with the conversation, it was just pretty cool to see

Nice gangsta links under the photo.

Last edited by a moderator: