Rural/Metro cleaning house in LA County

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Rumors started in Bowers that Rural/Metro had put in a bid to buy PRN. Similar mumblings are now coming out of PRN as well. Things could get interesting.

Interesting, please elaborate.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
So they're not firing a ton of people? That's what came to mind when you said "cleaning house"

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
Im not too sure that will happen, but who knows. I do know that a few from prn are going to bowers for what ever reason though. I have yet to hear that prn is being sold. But if they did that would add 50 plus rigs 4 stations and a decent amout of hosp contracts. I suppose it wouldn't hurt being absorbed into one of the nations largest providers. We shall see.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Im not too sure that will happen, but who knows. I do know that a few from prn are going to bowers for what ever reason though. I have yet to hear that prn is being sold. But if they did that would add 50 plus rigs 4 stations and a decent amout of hosp contracts. I suppose it wouldn't hurt being absorbed into one of the nations largest providers. We shall see.

I think the big reason is PRN has the other half of the kaiser contract.

They might as well buy all 678 ambulance companies based out of Glendale and have a division devoted solely to dialysis....revolutionary I tell you! :rofl:

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
From what I've heard R/M has been trying to establish themselves in LA County these last couple of years, so when the time came they could make a run at a 911 contract.

Buying another IFT company is cool, but if they let it operate like it was before being bought out (bowers, Pacific) I personally don't see how it would shake anything up in Los Angeles.

Not counting extensions, most of LA county's 911 contracts expire in 2016. Realistically, only the "lifers" currently working there would be around to see RM score some EOAs.

Bandaid Box

Forum Ride Along
From what I've heard R/M has been trying to establish themselves in LA County these last couple of years, so when the time came they could make a run at a 911 contract.

Buying another IFT company is cool, but if they let it operate like it was before being bought out (bowers, Pacific) I personally don't see how it would shake anything up in Los Angeles.

Well...if the merger is anything like the MedTrans / AMR, they will close some locations, fire some highly paid EMT's for lower cost new EMT's and cut overlapping areas and reduce units = higher profits. Remember they are here to make money... not 911 job opportunities. Yes, they may get 911 contracts because of there experience , but like all 911 contractors, they will paid minimum wages because that's what EMT's want to run. IFT companies have to paid higher to keep them.

I work 911 and make more than minimum wage.....actually more per hour than I did doing IFT in LA county.

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
Rural/Metro is being business smart. Everyone's anticipating several ambulance companies to lose their operating licenses in LA County and by being proactive they can likely snatch up several IFT contracts by buying a few prominent IFT companies. And who knows, maybe when the fire bids come up in 2016 they may win an EOA as well.

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
Rural/Metro is being business smart. Everyone's anticipating several ambulance companies to lose their operating licenses in LA County and by being proactive they can likely snatch up several IFT contracts by buying a few prominent IFT companies. And who knows, maybe when the fire bids come up in 2016 they may win an EOA as well.

I work for RM and I hope they pick up a 911 contract by the time I become a paramedic

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
The rumor that Prn is being bought out died so far I haven't heard anything about it.

Rural Metro is not concerning themselves with buying companies right now.

emergency123

Forum Crew Member
First AMR now Rural...here we go...

Rural/Metro ambulance files for bankruptcy
The company, which provides services in 21 states, expects to continue its operations throughout the reorganization process

dhump4free

Forum Crew Member
Rural/Metro ambulance files for bankruptcy
The company, which provides services in 21 states, expects to continue its operations throughout the reorganization process

They filed for bankruptcy protection. Warburg (the investment group who bought RM) are getting rid of a lot the debt they inherited when they purchased RM.

You can read this article here for more info.

staedtler

Forum Ride Along
Ambulance company Rural/Metro to lay off 190 as it downsizes workforce and exits unprofitable contracts in Southern California.

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance company Rural/Metro to lay off 190 as it downsizes workforce and exits unprofitable contracts in Southern California.

They let a lot of good people go... I knew a lot of them personally.