Ruined Vacations?

mikie

Forum Lurker
I don't think i've seen a thread pertaining to this...

Has anyone ever been on a vacation or somesort of retreat from work and winded up ruining it from an injury?

Well for me, I was in Colorado, some alone time before school started back up. Living in nothing more than a tent, being in the outdoors (relaxation!)

To make a long story short, I was mountain biking in Vail, CO and flew WAY over the handle bars down the mountain. Conviently, at the base of the mountain is a hospital. I ended up going home early :angry:

Winded up with a 3rd Degree Right AC separation. Tore 3 tendons according to the doc, waiting to follow up with the ortho. doc at home.

xraycropped.jpg

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
YOW!

I feel you, a few years back, my brother fell headlong into a brick wall (don't ask) and fractured his skull.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
bummer!

OUCH!!!!!!! You poor thing! :eek:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Mikie, you keep all your xrays on Photobucket!!? How cool!

Son, good thing it wasn't your neck!! Now your shoulder will look like Harrison Ford's.
(You know, if one DID keep his or her xrays on Photobuckcet, how convenient!

emtskibum

Forum Probie
most likely 3 torn ligaments, instead of tendons. the AC joint is held together by a complex of 3 ligament, and by your xray, you have done a number on them.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i have yet to hurt myself on vacation.

of course, when im on vacation i dont do much more than sip scotch and play blackjack.

reaper

Working Bum
Come on now, that glass can get very heavy. You better be careful! Also, watch out for those paper cuts from the cards, they can get infected!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
My cousin suffered a concussion from a skiing accident while we were vacationing at Lake Tahoe. I got to see patient presentation with a concussion, so now I won't overlook it with my patients!! :eek:

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
About 5 years ago, I shattered my patella, and dislocated the entire knee joint - about a week before I was supposed to go study abroad for the summer in Japan... Instead, I spent the entire summer in a CPM at home watching daytime television...

ChargerGirl

Forum Crew Member
My mom just retired from teaching after thirty something years and went on vacation (she never travels) right after her retirement party with her boyfriend to Montana to relax. They were staying at a friends house and she fell through a trapdoor left open in their laundry room and broke both her ankles. So now shes recovering and had to cancel her other vacations to Cabo etc. Now I get to push her around in a wheelchair and tease her. I was making her try and have my big dogs pull her around like a sled but she didnt like that. Shes in good spirits though and we are going to do some golfing in Mexico anyways later this week for a siblings birthday. Also, I can do tequila shots and drive her around in golf cart to scare her. I've come close to rolling those damn things hehehe

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You guys are sick, sick I tell you!

I never lost a vacation to injury, but I lost an afternoon bodysurfing Manhatten Beach due to a piece of jellyfish down my cutoffs.

I was case managing ortho pts for a couple years and was surprised at how many of my indigent patients could afford to go snowboarding at Donner or Tahoe and then come home to Sacramento County and have us pick up their bill for arthroplasties and therapy.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I broke an ankle prior to a scheduled vacation camping on Vancouver Island. My othopedic surgeon was pretty impressed when I actually walked the bottom off my cast.

MRE

Forum Captain
I got Mono on my family's vacation a few years ago. We were going to hike down into the grand canyon and camp at the bottom for a few days. My tonsils swelled up so much that I was having a hard time eating and talking intelligibly was becoming more and more difficult. We still hiked in the canyon but had to skip the camping at the bottom.

Still hope to back and do it again. My parents keep reminding me that we need to do it before their knees go out. They are both 60+ y/o

OP
OP
mikie

mikie

Forum Lurker
I have also torn an ACL while skiing. Me and the mountains don't tend to get along!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Come on now, that glass can get very heavy. You better be careful! Also, watch out for those paper cuts from the cards, they can get infected!

it gets easier as you go along....

NJN

The Young One
Lets see, I've done an unintentional split and almost dislocated my left leg from the hip when stepping thru a dock board on a river in France. This is also significant because of my male oriented anatomy :blink:. I almost severed my finger whilst on a cabin cruiser in Holland (little kids playing with knives during sizable gales aren't that smart). And i got a very nice scar on my right calf ( 3.5 inches) when i did an unintentional superman off of a bicycle into the Erie Canal in up state NY, again during a boating vacation.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

NJN

The Young One
Oriented towards males or....?????
Excuse my bad choice of words. I meant to say anatomy of the male kind or something to that affect.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Excuse my bad choice of words. I meant to say anatomy of the male kind or something to that affect.

So that would make you... male-ish?