Rpm?

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Today I was talking about START and MCIs and one of the guys said something about if the RPM are intacted?

He left before I could ask what RPM stood for. I have never heard that, what does it mean?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If I remember correctly its Respirations, Pulses, Mentation.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep!

RPMs=Respiration, Perfusion (or pulse) and Mentation (or mental status)

The way I remember what they stand for is "Thirty, Two, Can do!"

Can they walk? Yes? Green. No? Next step.

Respiration: > 30? Red. < 30? Next step.

Perfusion: (cap refill in my area) > 2 seconds? Red. < 2 seconds? Next step.

Mentation: Can they still follow commands? No? Red. Yes? Yellow.

MedJPavlo

Forum Crew Member
theres different wording used. but nvrob has the general idea. first u check if theyre breathing, pulse, then if they follow instruction or understand. i believe another saying is: 30-2-can do. Breathing rate is 30 or less breaths per minute, capillary refill is less than 2 seconds, or the patient follows simple commands

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
yeh i noticed that AFTER i posted. great minds think alike :beerchug:
Well, I was going to say that I had already said that. Then I saw our post times were identical, and realized we were typing them at the same time, I just beat you slightly to the post button. So I deleted my post. :p

OP
OP
G

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
never heard that before thanks guys!

lex

Forum Crew Member
I don't have my text book with me but I thought I remembered a lower number for the respiration rate (in addition to the 30). I don't recall what the number was, but thought sure there was one. Am I totally out to lunch on this one?

emt-mike

Forum Crew Member
i don't have my text book with me but i thought i remembered a lower number for the respiration rate (in addition to the 30). I don't recall what the number was, but thought sure there was one. Am i totally out to lunch on this one?

>10 <30

lex

Forum Crew Member
Thanks emt-mike. Glad to see that I haven't forgotten how to triage despite not having used it in a year plus. *knock on wood that it will stay that way*

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Mike's correct about the >30 and <10.

Its a quick and easy way to do triage, I personally like it, although I have never had to use it in a field situation, only drills.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief