Rochester, NY

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Hey,

I am moving from Los Angeles to Rochester, NY in August to attend a post-bac program as part of my journey to medical school.

Does anyone on here work in the area? I don't know anyone in NY and would love to meet some people in the area.

I am a CA licensed paramedic with two or so years paramedic experience in primary 9-1-1 response. I will be applying for a NY license during my move but I was wondering if anyone had any info on part-time work there. I saw Rural-Metro a lot (I think) and assume they do the response.

Anyone have any inside info? Or want to welcome an EMSer to the area?

Looking forward to meeting some NY people or finding some part-time work.

-Andrew

atticrat

Forum Crew Member
Rochester

Hey,

Yes Rural Metro does the inner city EMS. Monroe ambulance does the suburbs. Both are commercial, and have fairly high turnover. There are a few smaller agencies as well. There are alot of good people working in the system. Very progressive protocols. Metro has pretty short transport times with two major and one smaller hospital within minutes of most areas of the city. You can email me if you have any specific questions. emtpsaunders@gmail.com

OP
OP
C

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Thanks for the reply!

Hopefully one of them wants a part-time medic...

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Rochester is pretty close to NYC. Only like a 6 hour commute come on down.

OP
OP
C

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Rochester is pretty close to NYC. Only like a 6 hour commute come on down.

Haha!!!

I like your humor at least. :)

I am going to be in a full-time graduate program in Rochester...just looking for some close work to make a few extra dollars and keep my skills somewhat intact.

Thanks for the offer though. I am excited to visit NYC though, never having been there. We were thinking of taking the amtrak, I wouldn't know what to do if we drove in to the city.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Haha!!!

I like your humor at least. :)

I am going to be in a full-time graduate program in Rochester...just looking for some close work to make a few extra dollars and keep my skills somewhat intact.

Thanks for the offer though. I am excited to visit NYC though, never having been there. We were thinking of taking the amtrak, I wouldn't know what to do if we drove in to the city.

don't drive in NYC if you can prevent it. subways my man are the way to get around.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
So if I wanted to visit NYC for a night, how would you do it? Drive in to a hotel?

Parking is very expensive in NYC.

Some places in the lower/midtown area charge $20 for an hour.

If you can take the train all the way in, go with that.