Rising Fuel Costs Will Cut EMS Response

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
With the doubling of fuel costs in the U.S. EMS Providers are in a losing battle, as profits dwindle, while Administrators look for cost cutting measures to bridge the gap.

I foresee in a drastic cut in 9-1-1 response and services.

Triage-Over-the-Phone for Non-Critical Patients, and Walking Wounded=Self Transport will soon be the norm.

Its a No-Win situation until the U.S returns to Energy Independence and forget the non-attainable 100% EV vehicle mandates. The Society of Automotive Engineer (SAE) has already come out and stated that the Internal Combustion Engines will be the transportation standard in the U.S. until circa 2045 as the Horsepower to Weight Ratios and Operating Range are unattainable with EVs..

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I was working EMS back in 2008, during the last economic downturn... We were told not to have the truck running in the 90+ degree temps, to save on fuel. So we are posted to a street corner, with no AC... Suffice it to say, while the supervisors were in nice air conditioned buildings, we were stuck outside.

To be honest, the changing fuel costs is simply the cost of doing business. Do you expect fire trucks to no longer respond to calls due to fuel costs? I mean, I'm sure they will gladly give up going on EMS calls and stay in quarters, but they would do that anyway. Will cops take people off patrol and keep them in HQ? absolutely not. Money will need to be shifted, non-emergency tasks might be restricted, but I don't see many changes to the 911 system.

Triage over the phone is already here... due to a lack of resources, some places are adopting a nurse referral line, where "non-emergency" calls are screened by the nurse, to determine if an ambulance is needed.

I'm hoping thinks improve after Novembers elections, when more fiscally responsible people are elected to congress.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Energy 'independence' was a proximate reality less than 6 years ago...now...it is what it is...how about not sending a massive diesel fueled fire engine to every single (>95%) call for medical aid, hydrant check, grocery run?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
how about not sending a massive diesel fueled fire engine to every single (>95%) call for medical aid, hydrant check, grocery run?
but them how will you justify those 6 figure salaries for 4-6 people per truck, adding additional suppression units, and building of new fire stations?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
but them how will you justify those 6 figure salaries for 4-6 people per truck, adding additional suppression units, and building of new fire stations?
Well, around here it's 3-4 people on an engine and to be fair, there are still fires and stuff. It's just that the stewardship of the resources that are made available lacks a certain restraint. But that's the bureaucratic mind set...ride it for as long as you can and we'll figure it out when the cuts come.