Ride Along/Hospital Clinical Tips?

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Perfect. Will do that. Thank you for the insight. I see that you're an ICU RN. Quick question before you sign off, how hard would it be to make the ladder moves: EMT-B --> Paramedic --> RN --> ER/Trauma/ICU/CC Nurse? And would it be worth it? I know there are threads on here about it already... but since I have an audience...

That depends on what you want to do ultimately.

If you want to be a transport RN then most programs want to a couple of years of ICU nursing experience, and having you medic helps immensely. Most ground and air transport programs run mostly IFT (75-80%) so ED nursing is of much less value to them, especially when they have an experienced paramedic. (In comparison our prehospital group does no IFT and we attempt to stabilize patients in the field without taking them to the hospital so we want ED nurses and rural 911 experienced paramedics, we are very much an exception though.)

If you want to be a flight/cct medic they want to see several years of heavy 911 experience, and generally require additional certifications in critical care paramedicine.

If your ultimate goal is to be a ED or ICU nurse I wouldn't necessarily focus on getting your medic before nursing school. While having your medic would help you to get a critical care job over getting stuck on med/surg good EMT experience will be almost the same from a hiring standpoint.

OP
OP
ChewyEMS13

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
@medichopeful @Peak

Thanks you guys so much. I don't really know where I want to take it yet. I'm on the fence of RN in some sort of trauma/ED scene and paramedic. From what you guys are saying, it might be the route to go into nursing from the get go, but I have to honestly be in the situation before I can truly decide. Money is a much bigger factor than I'd like it to be, and I'm not quite sure I can put myself through nursing school. It could however give me more time to think about it while I save up. Honestly, I'm just thinking over text! What do you guys think?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I truly think that there should be more ICU time required throughout the program for paramedic. My medic program only required about 16 hours (8 in ICU, 8 in CVICU). In fact, I would rather see more time in ICU and less time in the ER for medic students. ER time is great, but there is just so much to learn in the unit.

Putting it later in the program absolutely makes sense though. Build a foundation, then go to the unit to see follow up and extended care of the sickest of the sick.
Yea, early ICU is just some med admins and suctioning. It wasn't til I had to go back later with an RT that I actually had some specific things I wanted to get out of it.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
@medichopeful @Peak

Thanks you guys so much. I don't really know where I want to take it yet. I'm on the fence of RN in some sort of trauma/ED scene and paramedic. From what you guys are saying, it might be the route to go into nursing from the get go, but I have to honestly be in the situation before I can truly decide. Money is a much bigger factor than I'd like it to be, and I'm not quite sure I can put myself through nursing school. It could however give me more time to think about it while I save up. Honestly, I'm just thinking over text! What do you guys think?

Makes sense. Do some shadow/observation/work time with both EMS and RNs and see what you like more! You could also always do a medic to RN bridge, though that wouldn't be my first choice it wouldn't be a bad way to do it!

Lo2w

Forum Captain
@medichopeful @Peak

I feel like I'm the outlier. I made the move to EMS in my 30s, burnt out in another career field. I started looking at RN which lead me to the tech job in the SICU. If I had stayed with nursing I was thinking ED so I signed up for my EMT thinking I'd transfer to the ED as a tech after completing.

I found that as I was doing my ride time I enjoyed life on the truck more than what I was seeing day to day working at the hospital. If money is tight you might benefit from something similar - get your EMT then look at some positions at the area hospitals. Where I was pay was pretty equal between my position as an aide/tech and an EMT but you'll have better benefits and will almost always be off on time in the hospital. You could pick up PRN work as an EMT for some extra cash/savings and be able to compare the two fields a little more.

Kevinf

Forum Captain