Ride Along as non US citizen?

Another German

Forum Probie
Hey folks,

are there any kind of regulations (by law for example - or only intern regulations) who is allowed to ride along as a third rider in your ambulances? Referring the age, the education and so on.

In Germany it is quite simple. You must be at least 18 and the rest depends on regulations of the company.

So would it be possible for me as non us citizen to ride along as a third rider for a certain time?

Greetz

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Around here you have to be a student somewhere because of liability.

There isn't a national law. It's up to state/local authority.

I would just call around to the places you are thinking about going.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As a Canadian I was able to do ride alongs in the us before I started ems training.
It depends on the service. Where I work now there are no ride alongs allowed. To ride 3rd you have to be a student.

MochaRaf

Forum Crew Member
As people mentioned in previous replies, it really depends on the department / company who you are trying to ride along with.

I am a German citizen and permanent resident, and I never had any issues riding along with my local departments. If you aren't actually part of the organization, they will probably make you sign a release waiver. But I never had to fill out any forms concerning my country of citizenship or my immigration status. The biggest issue I always had was my age, as I was a Jr. Member at my local first aid squad since I was 11.

Here are the local protocols as far as I remember to ride with EMS in NJ where I used to live:

First Aid / Rescue Squad (Volunteer Sevices)
-Must be 18 years of age, member, enrolled in EMT class

Paid Emergency Services
-Must be 18 years of age
-EMT student

MICU/Paramedics
-Must be 18 years of age
-EMT student or new hospital hire

mm505

Forum Crew Member
I was certified in Georgia (going back to get my numbers again) and whenever I was out of state, I would call the local EMS up and ask if I could ride along. Out of 8 states, I never got denied and had a great time!