Ride a longs..

mlloyd91

Forum Ride Along
I'd like to go on a ride along before I start EMS classes. I called my local hospital and they acted like I was crazy, lol. Told me I would probably have to call a fire house. Is that what I need to do? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
If your local service is a fire based EMS system, then call the the FD HQ. If it's private, contact the HQ of those private companies.

OP
OP
mlloyd91

mlloyd91

Forum Ride Along
Ok. So how do I find out if it's a fire based system or private?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Does the ambulance have "FD" written on the side of it?..... :unsure:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

If it's painted red, it may be fire based.

If bunker pants are frequently worn by the EMTs, it may be fire based.

If there are 4 guys on the ambulance and one guy does nothing but hold a clipboard, it may be fire based.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I feel like we need to start a "if you ambulance is ..., it might be fired based."

OP
OP
mlloyd91

mlloyd91

Forum Ride Along
I've seen so many different ambulances up here... Does that mean anything, lol? I'll have to pay closer attention to see if I see a "FD".

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
Yes, that would be great :)

I live in Frederick MD

I might start off by recommending you contact the school you are going too and talk to an administrator or possibly an instructor (especially if they're currently working in EMS) and ask them who provides 911 EMS service for your area.

A quick Google search of "Frederick MD EMS" turns up a bunch of links.

Rural/Metro came up in a Google search. - I'm not sure if they're the main 911 ambulance service or not, but that's a start.

You could also walk/drive/transit/bike/sprint/pogo/etc down to the closest ambulance station and ask them.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
heres another thing to check out.

I know in my medic class potential EMS students or even EMT's that are thinking about attending class are allowed to sit in on a lecture night and a skills/lab night it could get you a chance to see what you getting yourself into.