Responding in bad weather

mikie

Forum Lurker
Primarily for those who respond to their station (POV style)...and ever for those who don't!

What is your dept's SOP/SOG/policy regarding hazardous weather (ie- tornado, hurricane, monsoon, apocalypse, blizzard, etc) responses?

ie- if there has been a tornado warning issued for your area and you're toned/paged out, do you respond?

(PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, let's keep this thread kosher and leave out HOW you respond. Let's leave out whether or not you have 1 light, a disco ball of lights, sirens, speed, if POVs should be allowed, etc).

Thanks! ;)

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
from 10 years in EMS in Indiana, yes we would respond in all types of weather.
now in Utah, we respond in snow and off road (course where I work 7 of our 8 ambulances are 4 wheel drive so it helps.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I did transports in a blizzard on an overnight shift. We were the only vehicle on the road pretty much. My bowels almost voided several times. Makes me want to move to a warmer climate.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Bad weather? What is this bad weather phenomenon you talk about? We usually don't get "bad weather" but whatever Mother Nature may give us: rain, snow, blizzard, apocalypse we respond in it all! :D

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We have toronado and bad weather alerts on a daily basis, so it means very little. Unless the sirens and then it has to be officially be sighted and observed before we take action.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
24/7/365. thats the job. weather is irrelevant.

now that answer changes for the fp-c types here i would imagine. you cant fly in anything.

during inclement weather, you do have to significantly modify your driving habits. much slower, much safer. its going to take longer, but if you wreck on the way you dont do anybody any good, do you?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm curious-- for those who dont work exclusively on a 911 unit, what effect does weather have on your operations?

Are scheduled transfers rescheduled? What happens to dialysis? Discharges? MD appointments? Do you put more units/crew on the schedule?

For those on 911 units, is your home street plowed before others? Are there contingency plans for crews that cannot make it into work? Does the FD send a engine on calls that wouldnt be sent during nicer weather? Do you carry extra equipment/supplies, factoring in not being able to resupply?

I have grown up in New England, but not worked on an ambulance during poor weather before.
I appreciate the comments, this is a new game for me.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I will be the first to say I know nothing about snow and really care not to experience the stuff even in Tahoe.

However, for hurricanes, patients with medical needs (oxygen, dialysis, pregnancy) are evacuated to areas that can provide that service. For mandatory evacuations, the public is warned that there will not be emergency services available during the onset of the storm and that they are staying at their own risk. Hospitals in those areas will also be evacuated. There may be a special ops medical crew that will fly in for the storm or be immediately available after the storm. But that is it. Whatever existing crews that have stayed will be pulled off the road when the storm approaches.

There is a good chance that emergency crews may not be able to reach people who chose to stay after the storm due to road and bridge damage or flood waters. Some departments in Florida have lost very expensive fire trucks and ambulances because poor judgement was exercised in taking these vehicles out in a storm or in flood waters. One must know the limitations of their equipment as well as have respect for the power and the potential for the deadly effects of a storm. If you or your vehicle are not adequately prepared for the elements, you too will become victim to the storm very quickly and may detour much needed resources from others to rescue you.

Hopefully others have learned valuable lessons from those little storms named Andrew, Katrina, Hugo, Charlie and a few others.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Our protocols state safety first. We are also mandated to make sure that our own families are safe before we go out and tend to someone else's. A volunteer who is worrying about their own family is not able to be fully prepared to deal with any other emergency.

As far as contingency plans.. we had a snafu occur in a neighboring district during a severe winter storm. The nursing homes plan during the power outages and road closures, was to turf as many of their borderline residents to the local hospital. That way if they took a turn for the worse, they would already be at the facility instead of needing emergency transport. Unfortunately, the hospital's plan was to turf as many of their in-patients as could meet the criteria, to the local nursing home, freeing up beds and lowering census to prepare for a time of limited resources. So, basically, they ended up trading pts and neither of them got any further ahead. That's when they started working together on their contingency plans!

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Here it depends how severe the weather is. We don't have tornados and very few hurricanes. Our worst would be a winter blizzard. It has to get pretty bad to pull units off the road. However in a really big blizzard transfers will be cancelled and pts will be triaged on the phone. (Sometimes I wish they would do that more often). We will only respond to the most serious calls. It is not uncommon for crews to be tied up for hours on a call in a bad snowstorm. We try to keep in touch with the various town street works depts. and Dept. of Highways in case we need a street or road plowed. They are usually pretty good at coming out for us.
No one persons street gets plowed sooner than scheduled. It is up to you to get to work. There is usually someone with a 4x4 who will shuttle medics and nurses to and from work in a bad storm.

Megs_h13

Forum Probie
Bahaha!!! You mean we stop working in bad weather?!?!?! I work in the border city in Canada and I can say snow or not we're hitting the road. The only way we don't is if the Highways get closed due to a blizzard.... (but if its an accident leaving somone in the snow we're on that highway no matter what) Our transfers still go out as well we just leave a heck of alot sooner.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Toronado's are very common.. nothing is stopped unless there is confirmation of one near by. I know it sounds weird, but it really is an everyday type of event. We are usually in some of weather watch from toronada, heat, wind or flood at least once a week.

The old saying from the native son Will Rogers:... "If you don't like our weather, just stick around"..Is really true. Late 80's yesterday and 59 today.

R/r 911

Hastings

Noobie
Yes. We're out during tornado warnings (not to be confused with watches), blizzards, and all else.

I mean, really, that's often when people TRULY need you. It doesn't bother me. I still take every precaution to maintain the safety of myself and my partner.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Central Cal: "Tule fog" and potential flooding.Oh, yeah, potential civil unrest.

We're 120 miles rom the ocean but if you live on the fourth floor in New Orleans you are farther above sea level than my town
(1987 to present).
No contingency plans. They can declare an emergency anytime (no criteria)and tried to during our last strike and require us come in, but it has never been tested except after the Rodney King trial and the night before "Y2K" (silly ba$tards). Enough of us turned out, but some didn't then called us stupid.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So how do you guys respond during a zombie infestation? :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So how do you guys respond during a zombie infestation? :p

You mean other crew members ? Or those that work the midnight shift or those that are up all night? ;)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Zombies?

1. Keep the doors locked windows up and engine running.
2. Never walk backwards.
3. Never run forwards and look backwards at the same time. (Who do you think you are, Ginger Rogers?).
4. And especially wearing stilleto heels and a tube top.