REQ: List of common meds

OP
OP
T

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in British Columbia, Canada, hence the mountainy background. It's a small town on Vancouver Island. The scenery is beautiful up here but there isn't much of a call-volume and with only a clinic, the nearest ER is 1+ hr away. However, the fact that we have a huge area to cover means that on occasion we get to park the ambulance and board a helicopter or even a sea-plane. That's cool (or will be when I get my chance!) and makes up for some of the shortcomings of a rural location.

When I was making this meds request, I guess what I was hoping for was things like HIV/AIDS medications and such, the ones that stand out and really are important when you trip over them. It sucks to find out that the pt you treated was HIV and Hep-C positive after you drop them off, and then you wonder if your BSI was enough or if you were slacking on it (like wearing goggles on your head instead of on your face) a bit because you were more concerned with pt care at times than to be thinking of your PPE. You know?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, but I see yet another opportunity to share advice. I was going to mention it earlier in this thread when someone else said something similar but I didn't want to sidetrack the thread. However, since we have sidetracked and it has been mentioned twice, here goes...

As far as knowing what meds indicate an HIV or Hep C status, is that truly relevant to the BSI we provide ourselves?

At least these people know their status and are on meds for such, but what about the hundreds of thousands who are HIV positive or have Hep C and are unaware of it? Hep C can linger 10-20 years before the person even knows they are infected.

People actually being treated for such conditions will usually be upfront with you if you ask in a proper, confidential way. It is the ones that know their status, but don't get treatment that tend to be more evasive, as they are still in denial.

So, maybe it would be best to treat YOURSELF the same on every call. Do it enough and it becomes a habit and not one that is easy to break or overlook a step.

MA-1 My teaching motto.... MY *** FIRST.

This means you are never in such a hurry that you overlook a step in protecting yourself. There is no emergency that important when you have all the tools, devices, etc at your disposal. It is NOT your emergency.

Follow all procedures correctly, be methodical in each step and wear the same BSI for every call and you should be well covered.

Some of my past services and several others that work close by in FL, make it mandatory that you wear goggles on EVERY call. Is it a hassle...yes. But after a while, it is so habit/routine, you do not give it a second thought and you comply. Lo and behold, your eyes are always protected from possible splashes or other types of exposure.

This is why enroute to the call, your thoughts should be of how you are going to protect yourself. Put your glasses on, glove up(when not driving!), and then think of the call and any additional measures you may have to take depending on the nature of your call.

If you have taken all proper precautions, and not recieved a needle stick during the call, finding out that they have HIV or Hep C after you turn them over is a moot issue. It will not phase you in the slightest cause you know you did everything to protect yourself, as you always do, on every call.

These diseases concern me less than say possibly transporting bacterial meningitis or an active TB. These are the ones that you could possibly miss the obvious on and expose yourself to.

OP
OP
T

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you for the advice, I agree with you on all of that, but if I may add, pts often assume too much. I just threw HCV out there as an example, there are more concerning issues in this request, like TB.

I always try to practice proper BSI, and I say try because I know NOBODY is ever 100% all of the time. But when you know a pt is infected, it certainly reminds me to be extra cautious, and I know the ER staff like to know in advance when I can give it to them.

The whole problem with all of this advice is that while it is great and helpful for anyone that reads it, it really takes away from my request. I don't really need anyone to explain why I don't need a list because the reasons already stated do not address why I asked. LOL! I just want a short list of noteable medications. I can't look them up myself because there are 10's of thousands of meds. I had hoped that with the number of people on this site with the years of service and experience that I could compile that short list more easily.

Thank you from everyone that either gave meds or tried to help with advice. You have all been helpful.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry TKO,

I should apologize. I am not responding directly to you, I just capitolized on a moment for others who are less experienced to possibly benefit.

Good luck with your list....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm in British Columbia, Canada, hence the mountainy background. It's a small town on Vancouver Island.

Which one? I'm just across the water from you in Washington State. I can see the lights of Victoria from the beach and have friends up there I visit frequently.

OP
OP
T

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
We're in a small town outside of Campbell River (about 4 hrs North of Victoria). I'm where Luna the Whale was. I lived in Victoria for 2 years before finally getting my medical license successfully Xferred into BC. Are you Port Angeles or Seattle or what?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I work in Port Angeles and so does my husband but we live out in the wilderness to the west of there. I've been to Campbell River many times. We flyfish and love the rivers on Vancouver Island. Besides, hubby is a huge Roderick Haig Brown fan. Apparently he lived on the Campbell River somewhere.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TKO... Whenever I get a med list, either from a facility or a Pt... I walk through it and try to figure out what everything is for.... and if I don't know... I ask. Many times, Pt. have "Cardiac" history... but they don't say they have chronic A-Fib unless you really press them.

Oh, and as for shortening the med list - I can take 50 meds off of there... if it ends in "olol" it is probably a beta blocker :)