Relocation/Sign on Bouns question

Emt05

Forum Ride Along
Ok so I was wondering if anyone on here has worked for a company that offered a relocation bouns or sign on bouns for medics coming from out of state? If so how did that work? I mean did they give you like 8K for a relocation up front or do you have to move down there first how does it work?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ask the company as it varies by each.

I have had relocation bonuses paid up front, after the move, 50% up front with more spread out at a later date, etc.

So again...when having a specific question in regards to employment, it is ALWAYS best to ask that particular company as these are not corporate secrets.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
just be careful..read the contracts carefully... and make sure you know what happens if you want to leave before the sign on bonus or relocation bonus contracts have been fulfilled.. you can really get screwed by a company.. especially a certain florida private EMS company on the west coast that ALWAYS has an ad in JEMS.....

you also need to consider WHY they are paying these bonuses?

Is it because they are desperate for people? are they desperate for people because its a high turnover company that treats employees like crap? or are they wanting to get quality people who are interested in a long term employment situation?

And please.. if you're looking at Sunstar, PM me so I can tell you the stuff their recruiter wont tell you... he will out and out lie to you about the company, and the job.

NWParamedic

Forum Crew Member
Ok so I was wondering if anyone on here has worked for a company that offered a relocation bouns or sign on bouns for medics coming from out of state? If so how did that work? I mean did they give you like 8K for a relocation up front or do you have to move down there first how does it work?
Relocation bonus' can be a really nice thing. Every company sets up their parameters on the bonus differently.

Usually the company commits to a certain amount and you commit to a certain amount of time. Here are two common examples:

Company pays $2000.00 to for relocation expenses and you commit to two years of service. This form of agreement will usually be committed to a contract that you sign and you will be required to either pay all of it back or a prorated amount if you fail to commit to the two years. This could be payed all up front or could be paid to you on arrival in full or incremental. The CEO/Owner will have their contract well defined.

Another common option is a smaller amount like $500 or $1000 dollars paid to you in a one time lump sum with no contractual obligations.

It really is company dependent and can be negotiable. I usually have been successful in getting the employer to send me the funds before I move. Just communicate respectfully with them in the beginning and they are likely to commit to your needs.