Reciprocity to Washington State

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
I moved to NY ten months ago and I've been missing home. I've been thinking about moving back home and becoming an EMT there. I have read the Washington State Department of EMS Reciprocity requirements, but I still have a few questions.

3. You have completed a course equivalent to the Department of Transportation (DOT) Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) course

a. The course taken must be equal to Washington State standards.

b. You must also declare that you are knowledgeable in the Washington State Specific Objectives (WSSO). Complete, sign and return the WSSO Affirmation Statement.

4.You have completed the OEMSTS course “Infectious Disease Prevention for EMS Providers” (Revised October, 1997) or a Department of Health approved 7-hour HIV/AIDS course.

7. You are associated with a Washington State prehospital emergency medical agency licensed by the Office of EMS and Trauma Systems (OEMSTS)

8. You are recommended by your Medical Program Director (MPD) in Washington State
a. The MPD may approve your skills, knowledge, and ability through written or verbal protocol examinations, visual observations of skills, etc.

b. Once the EMS office obtains the MPD’s signature, all of your information will be forwarded to the State of Washington for approval.

c. Once the State approves your curriculum, you will then be allowed to take the Washington State EMT-B written test. The State will notify you when you have been granted approval. Please call the EMS office at (509) 966-5175 to schedule an appointment to test.

3. Anybody know if NYS is equivilent?

4. Does the ASHI BBP qualify for this?

7. WTF? So you have to move to Washington State, apply with an agency, then have them sign it for you?

8. WTF(major)?!? So you have to have an interview with your MPD and possbily do a ride along even though you have to take a written test no matter what?!

WTF Washington?

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I moved to NY ten months ago and I've been missing home. I've been thinking about moving back home and becoming an EMT there. I have read the Washington State Department of EMS Reciprocity requirements, but I still have a few questions.

3. You have completed a course equivalent to the Department of Transportation (DOT) Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) course

a. The course taken must be equal to Washington State standards.

b. You must also declare that you are knowledgeable in the Washington State Specific Objectives (WSSO). Complete, sign and return the WSSO Affirmation Statement.

4.You have completed the OEMSTS course “Infectious Disease Prevention for EMS Providers” (Revised October, 1997) or a Department of Health approved 7-hour HIV/AIDS course.

7. You are associated with a Washington State prehospital emergency medical agency licensed by the Office of EMS and Trauma Systems (OEMSTS)

8. You are recommended by your Medical Program Director (MPD) in Washington State
a. The MPD may approve your skills, knowledge, and ability through written or verbal protocol examinations, visual observations of skills, etc.

b. Once the EMS office obtains the MPD’s signature, all of your information will be forwarded to the State of Washington for approval.

c. Once the State approves your curriculum, you will then be allowed to take the Washington State EMT-B written test. The State will notify you when you have been granted approval. Please call the EMS office at (509) 966-5175 to schedule an appointment to test.

I actually went through this process a few years ago, so I'll try and answer what I can.

3. Anybody know if NYS is equivilent?
I'm not sure about this, but I know the NREMT is. NYS may be, but the best thing to do would be to check with the DoH about this.
4. Does the ASHI BBP qualify for this?
No, Washington state requires that you take their BBP course every three years with annual refreshers. It's a fairly simple course to find and take, especially if you are affiliated with an agency.

7. WTF? So you have to move to Washington State, apply with an agency, then have them sign it for you?
Essentially, yes you do. You may be able to find an agency that will sponsor you before you move, but not likely.

8. WTF(major)?!? So you have to have an interview with your MPD and possbily do a ride along even though you have to take a written test no matter what?!
Yes and no. Your MPD will most likely sign off on your paperwork if an agency has signed it. Washington uses county MPD's, so he is responsible for all EMS providers in his county. A ride along will probably not be necessary for the basic level but may be for higher levels.

You will have to take the state written test, no way around that one. WA state has some unique protocols (like the Kristine Kastner Act) that you need to be familiar with before they'll let you work in EMS.

WTF Washington?
If you're from here, this shouldn't surprise you...:p

Hopefully this helps. If not, shoot me a PM or e-mail.

OP
OP
jordanfstop

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you so much! I called the DOH and they said that NYS is equivilent.

Touche about the being a WA native ;)