Recertification HELP

DavieTan

Forum Ride Along
Hi! NREMT isn't open at the moment so I wanted to see if anyone can help me in the meantime. My NREMT expired March 31st and my state EMT will expire on May 31st. I have an emt refresher course this coming week but overall I am not sure what to do! This is for California by the way! I also don't plan moving out of California for work so am I still able to recertify my NREMT or can I only rectify my state certification, thanks!

TonyaL

Forum Crew Member
My NREMT expired in 2008 and I just recertified my NREMT in March of 2015.

I don't know about California but here in Michigan once you get your state EMT license you don't have to keep up your NREMT if you don't want to. Just take a refresher and renew.

But as far as national registry what I had to do since my NREMT expired 7 years ago was take a national registry approved refresher class. Get my EMT basic skills verified which I went to Michigan Academy and had done send everything into the National Registry. They sent me an authorization to test letter and I took the written test again. Then they mailed my NREMT card.

I hope this helps.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
My understanding is that you can let NREMT lapse in California if you want... but it makes reciprocity a hell of a lot easier as I'm finding out.