Recert confusion help !

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
Hello ya'll. California based. So I finished my course 2016 December . My nremt expires March next year . If I never got a caifornia state license is it too late? Is it more difficult to recertify because I didn't ? And I haven't worked in the field yet. Stuff happened. But def still want to be an EMT. or am I ok. Can I just take a refresher course then get my state license. So confused... about the differences between state license and nremt...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You need NREMT to get a state license in CA. Once you have your state license you are not required to keep your NREMT.

Since you are currently not working at an EMS agency you are only able to recertify your NREMT in inactive status.

OP
OP
R

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
You need NREMT to get a state license in CA. Once you have your state license you are not required to keep your NREMT.

Since you are currently not working at an EMS agency you are only able to recertify your NREMT in inactive status.
Is it too late to apply for Cali license.. and m nremt isn't inactive until it expires right ?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is it too late to apply for Cali license.. and m nremt isn't inactive until it expires right ?
No it is still not too late to apply for the state license because your NREMT is still valid.

Once your NREMT expires your certificate is considered lapsed or expired. In order to keep it you must recertify it but click a box that says “inactive status”. Once you get hired at an agency you just have to change it from inactive status to active status.

OP
OP
R

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
So not having ever had my California state license doesn't effect my nremt validity ?

And I can just take a refresher course opposed to taking the test ?

OP
OP
R

Redwoodbamf7

Forum Probie
No it is still not too late to apply for the state license because your NREMT is still valid.

Once your NREMT expires your certificate is considered lapsed or expired. In order to keep it you must recertify it but click a box that says “inactive status”. Once you get hired at an agency you just have to change it from inactive status to active status.

New
So not having ever had my California state license doesn't effect my nremt validity ?

And I can just take a refresher course opposed to taking the test ?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes and no. Not having your state license doesn’t make your NREMT not valid however when it comes to recertifying your NREMT, not having your state license will have an effect on it.