Recently certified - next step?

BGeer83

Forum Ride Along
As I have mentioned in the title, I just recently passed my written exam to become an EMT- B and am anxious to start my career in EMS. I plan on using the school in which I was certified for guidance, but I am curious as to how everyone here got started. My instructor is great, so I plan on getting advise from her as well. In the meantime, what could I be doing?

Ideally, I'd like to be part of an ambulance service, responding to 911 calls or any other variation of that. Basically I just want to put my skills and hard work into practice.

Do I go about it like getting any other job (knocking on doors and handing in resumes > interviews) or are there steps that need to be taken beforehand?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

mike1390

Forum Captain
run far far away!!! jk but really its like any other job, start shakin hands and kissin babys... or is it kissin hands and shakin babys... I don't know away good luck.

OP
OP
B

BGeer83

Forum Ride Along
This is not the first time I've been told to run away! I did a roation at the ER at St. Francis in Hartford CT and every medic I spoke to told me to run away. They were all joking about it, but were they REALLY joking???

airupthere

Forum Ride Along
Yupp....now you're in for it buddy. You have a lot to do (kinda)
1. Get your actual certification card. Do this by getting a bunch of the required paperwork together and sending that into the ems department

2. As for jobs, there's a few things they're going to require of you and it's good to have them before you start (but don't let this stop you from applying). These are things you can start working on.
-DL51 (Medical Examiner's form)
-Ambulance driver's certificate/license
and I feel like I'm forgetting a couple things because I'm in a rush.

A lot of companies have online applications. Make sure to check up on your application if you feel like it's been a while and you haven't gotten a response. In actuality, going in is the BEST. At least in my experience, since you can actually speak with people instead of being just another application in the stack. But you can't always do that. Start looking for what kind of company you want and location, etc. I just got hired after about a month of calling and applying, so I have some info on most companies in L.a. county (I'm not sure where you're from). PM me if u have any questions

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Keep in mind an ambulance dl is not required in mist states. That's a prk thing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
If you have already taken the National Registry, go to their website and request the packet that will allow you to apply for reciprocity in your state. If you just have a CT certification and thats all thats required there, dont worry about it.

Go to the websites for all of the counties in your area to find out if they are even accepting applications right now. If they are, apply to as many as possible. If you are in a metropolitan area it may be a lot harder than you think to get a job. The market is quite saturated with EMTs and Medics in much of the country and there are often very few spots open...if any at all.

I hope thats not the case for you, but its common for people to have to wait a loooong time before getting hired onto a career department. To give you an idea of how competetive this field can be in some areas, i just tested for a local fire and rescue department where there were over 700 applicants for 15-20 positions.

Not sure how the private ambulance companies work in CT, they may just do transport, or they may have 911 contracts. But you can usually apply with them through their websites.

If you want to start working while you wait for a paid job, check out some volunteer departments in your area. They are almost always looking for people. You wont get paid but you will get experience and they will put you through fire school and all that.

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
If you haven't had much experience in EMS/ Fire and Rescue, I would first join a volunteer department. Like someone else said...they are almost ALWAYS looking for volunteers. It will give you a good way to practice and refine your skills, and see what you're in for before you take it on as a career. Depending on whether or not you want to become a firefighter, also, some volunteer departments may pay for your fire school/training.

OP
OP
B

BGeer83

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the responses. i just dropped my application at my local volunteer ambulance association yesterday. I stuck around and chatted them up for a bit and as of now its looking good for me. if all goes well they could be voting me in by the end of the month.

OP
OP
B

BGeer83

Forum Ride Along
Glastonbury Volunteer Ambulance Association. if youre familiar with the area its directly behind the police dept.