Rash Of EMS Chopper Crashes Prompts Changes

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Rash Of EMS Chopper Crashes Prompts Changes

They're designed to save lives, but, in less than two months, five EMS choppers nationwide crashed to the ground.

Travis County-based STAR Flight takes off from the helipad at Brackenridge Hospital about 1,500 times a year. The startling jump in the number of accidents nationwide has everyone in the industry looking for answers -- and fast.

Monday, Benton County, Arkansas. A med-evac helicopter falls back to the ground, just after picking up a car crash victim. The patient dies, three crew members are injured. It's the fifth fatal crash since January.

"It is at an alarming rate that this is starting to occur," said Willy Culberson, aviation director for STAR Flight.

[Read More!]

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I used to work on choppers. Even in the military crashes would happen in groups. I never understood this. It is still amazing to me that something with so many moving parts all designed to defeat gravity work as long and as well as they do.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Feb 27 2005, 10:11 AM
I used to work on choppers. Even in the military crashes would happen in groups. I never understood this. It is still amazing to me that something with so many moving parts all designed to defeat gravity work as long and as well as they do.
I guess it's kinda like the "bad things happen in 3's" theory. I know that's usually the truth around the Firehouse...

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Feb 27 2005, 10:11 AM
They don't fly, they beat the air into submission. Sometimes the air is stubborn.

Helicoptors have always had significantly higher crash rates than fixed wing aeroplanes.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
They don't exactly glide like airplanes... much less time to "correct". My uncle flew helos in the Navy, he was lucky. I have a friend who was in Nam and will proudly tell you he survived 3 helo crashes...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit@Feb 27 2005, 09:39 AM
They don't fly, they beat the air into submission. Sometimes the air is stubborn.

I hate stubborn air! :p

That being said, helos have been one of the better advancements for the EMS field. I lost a friend a few years ago in a medevac flight...they crashed at a local airport after setting down.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit@Feb 27 2005, 11:39 AM
Good Quote! :D

Helicoptors have always had significantly higher crash rates than fixed wing aeroplanes.

Yes, but helicopters also crash significanty less frequently than ambulances.

Because of the reduced frequency and percentage of accidents, they are national news EVERY TIME a helo crashes.

Oh, and it is somtimes fun to get the CONCERN bullitins, espically when the "local" service has something reletivley "major" (like part of the rear fin fall off in flight for no apparent reason...) and it DOES NOT get put on the list. :rolleyes:

jon