Ranking system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our op certainly does. EMT, EMT FTO, Paramedic, Paramedic FTO, Relief Paramedic Supervisor, Paramedic Supervisor, Administrative Paramedic Supervisor, Operations Manager.

The Boulder operation uses actual "ranks," lieutenants are backup supes, captains are the shift commanders, and then deputy chief and chief.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
EMT, EMT FTO, Paramedic, Paramedic FTO,

I wouldn't call this a ranking system. It's more of a classification of employees. As a paramedic I certainly wasn't above anyone else on the ambulance and I certainly wasn't a "supervisor" over the EMT's I worked with. It's not like a fire department where you have firefighters and company officers (supervisors)(engineers, lieutenants, captains) whose job is to run the engine/station and supervise its employees on incidents.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I wouldn't call this a ranking system. It's more of a classification of employees. As a paramedic I certainly wasn't above anyone else on the ambulance and I certainly wasn't a "supervisor" over the EMT's I worked with. It's not like a fire department where you have firefighters and company officers (supervisors)(engineers, lieutenants, captains) whose job is to run the engine/station and supervise its employees on incidents.
They are certainly ranks here. The paramedic is wholly in charge of the ambulance and is trained/held accountable as such. The FTOs were required to eventually be trained as back up supes, though few were willing to fill that role. Our supervisors are active and respond to large calls to fill out ICS assignments along with fire.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm updating my answer to reflect my change in agency.

We have a clearly defined ranking system here.

- Chief
- Deputy Chief
- Major
- Capitan
- Lieutenant
- FTO (Medic or EMT)
- EMT/Medic

The rank of FTO is a bit fudgy. It is a promotion over EMT or Paramedic, and your title becomes Field Training Officer, however you are not directly responsible for supervising any employees, and don't necessarily have any authority over non FTO employees (although, some would like to see that change, to add some additional responsibility)

Hopeful Paramedic

Forum Ride Along
I did not really know where to post this, but i was wondering about the ranking system(if there is one) for people in the field. I know there are LT., CPT., deputy chief and chief. Are there ranks for EMT's and Paramedics in the field? Do they follow L.E ranking system, or F.D? Thanks everybody :)
Yeah we have a 61 person Fire EMS Department for about 35k people, and as far as I know the EMTs use the exact same structure as the Fire section.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Closed for useless bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.