Radio question

Niftymedic911

Forum Probie
If we have to use our radios to call transport info (we use our MDC's to handle all radio info that can be spent through the CAD) it should read like this with the same info given:

Dispatch:
Me: "Control, Medic 09, 51 to Delta 1 ready to copy"
Control: "Medic 09 go ahead"
Me:"Medic 09 51 to Delta 1 with priority 1 A4 trauma alert, 10-18, 10-12 FF on board, milage: 2345.7"
Control:"Medic 09 51 D1, 1802 hrs"

Radio report to Delta 1 (Lee Memorial Hopsital, trauma center):

Lee Memorial, Lee Memorial Medic 09,
Go ahead Medic 09

Medic 09 is enroute with a unconcious 22 thats two two yr old male unrestrained driver from a high speed MVA vs. tree. Patient was found in the driver's seat with a GCS of 3. Prolonged extrication x 25 min. Vitals, 80 palp, he's tachy at 130, he is intubated and respsers at 18. IV's established, bloods drawn, fluid running, eta 10 mins.

"Medic 09, we copy see ya in 10"

"Medic 09 clear"

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
yea, every hospital/squad/city is going to be different...all I can say is remember what they teach you in class about radio procedures as they are pretty much generalized, then once you join up with an FD or squad make sure you learn their radio procedure as it will be something different.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Speak clearly into the mic one second after you press the PTT (or after the tone if you are connected to a repeater).

When you are connecting to the hospital, you want to first get their attention because they may be busy with other duties, say, "Big H, this is Screaming Bandaid, got your ears on?"

or if you heard chatter before you called you cut down on radio time and say, "Mama, this is baby, can you lift your apron for us, we're coming in with a friend to party." to let them know you have a pt.

Use radio terms that cut down on excessive radio chatter, like 10-4 (understood), Roger Wil-Co (understood, will comply), code 1 (unauthorized listeners), BBW (big beautiful woman), WTF (What the ****), FTW (For the W1n), Robert Stack'ed (when a pt has gone missing)

Always address yourself too, like above, using the appropriate handle, Good buddy, Chilly-Willy, Red Leader, 911 Pizza, etc. so that the hospital knows who is calling them.

Give them your status and ETA, say, "Code 3 and our ETA is..." or "We are Warp factor 10 and on your doorstep in...." or "The Falcon is landing and the Wookie has to pee in...."

And when you finish your chat, don't say, "10-4 over and out". That's just trucker-talk. Say, "thanks Sexay!"

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, technically, "Over and out" is part redundent and part contradictory.

"Over" means "I'm done trasmitting and am waiting for a response" whereas "out" means "I'm done trasmitting and don't expect a response." Of course I don't remember anyone actually using over or out in general use.

NJN

The Young One
Use radio terms that cut down on excessive radio chatter, like 10-4 (understood), Roger Wil-Co (understood, will comply), code 1 (unauthorized listeners), BBW (big beautiful woman), WTF (What the ****), FTW (For the W1n), Robert Stack'ed (when a pt has gone missing)

Just remember to use phonetics like Bravo Bravo Whiskey, or Whiskey Tango Fox(trot).

- Opsman out

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I was taught the "Hey you, it's me" method of remembering who to say first. Our policies are plain language (NIMS compliance dontcha know) but short and sweet.

"Dispatch from Aid41, we are enroute to 123 main street"

We communicate with dispatch, each other and mutual aid (generally ALS from a local private) on the radio. Pt information is done either via cell phone directly to the ED or MedNet which is a dedicated radio frequency direct to the ED, not available to those in scannerland

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
listen to how YOUR dispatch does it. you'll never learn the procedures unless you start to listen to your dispatch. as far as general radio etiquette goes...

if they use NATO (more specifically international radiotelephony spelling alphabet ^_^) such as alpha-bravo-charlie use NATO. if they use western union such as adam-boy-charles, use western union. one officer does it on our scanner and he sticks our like a sore thumb.

don't use terms like "be advised", "at this time", or "step it up"

don't use the radio to hear yourself talk.

make sure your portable is turned down or off. hearing that blaring feedback is quite embarassing.

give atleast five seconds before asking dispatch if they copied you.

use formal words such as "received" "repeat your last message" "affirmative" "negative"

if you're feeling buffy you can end all transmissions in "k" such as "446(bus) to 401(dispatch) can you repeat the numeric? K"
it's not "okay" or "OK" or "kay"; it's synonymous with "over."

don't swear.

try not to talk with the siren/airhorn/music blaring.

keep every transmission as quick and simple as possible.

try to get everybody's phone number including the truck phones.

try not to sound like you just woke up (because you probably did) when signing in.

Last edited by a moderator: