Radio for Ambulance

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Hi,

I am looking for a radio that can be put in our volunteer squads first ambulance! any brand or model as long as it works!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I really like all of the Kenwood radios I have used. Not sure on specific models, I can look into it and see. I for sure would go with something that has several programmable channel buttons instead of having to scroll through all the channels to find the one you want. Also, a knob for changing to channels instead of up/down buttons. The knob is much faster.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
I really only use one channel. Belive it or not. We use cellphones for everything but dispactch. And we have limited $ for fancy things.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
I am actually not sure of the band...not helpful I know. And budget as cheep as possible. I am trying to find out the band

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Just a couple of thoughts.

You are going to need more than one frequency. Even though you are dispatched on one frequency, what happens when you mutual aid with another agency?

Also don't forget that you may have to update/get a license from the FCC unless you are operating under somebody else's license. Your local radio shop (the guys that program the radios for local LE and fire) would be the best source of info.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
I should have been more specific. We are a collegiate EMS agency. We have no mutual aid agreements and let our own dispatch contact the local paramedics. We already have radios we just need a few more! Thanks :)

Forum Crew Member
Just a thought: Kenwoods are what we use for the state. We have over a thousand different channels programmed into them which allow us to functionally operate in any district in California from the Mexican border to the Oregon border. They are also reasonably priced (I say this as an assumption since the state usually purchases cheapest possible materials :p) and the ability to program multiple frequencies could come in quite handy during a natural disaster or some other type forced unexpected mutual aide.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I should have been more specific. We are a collegiate EMS agency. We have no mutual aid agreements and let our own dispatch contact the local paramedics. We already have radios we just need a few more! Thanks :)

Campus shootings are one type of incident that comes to mind where you might still want to be able to talk to more than one agency. Just a thought.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
We actually just had an MCI drill with that seniaro. Our own police squad (on our frequency) who are swat responded and out dispatch called both the local 9-1-1 ambulance.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OP, congrats on the ambulance. I'm pretty sure I saw some of your guys at the NCEMSF conference.

I sympathize with the need for conserving funds, but you need to know what you need before you start asking for stuff.

Some thoughts:
If you're putting a state-licensed ambulance in service, you may actually NEED to have County or Region radio communications in the vehicle. If you're a BLS agency, what happens when you need an ALS intercept? How do you communicate with them? At my service (Campus based first response) we have 2 separate radio systems - one for local use with the school PD dispatcher, and another one for use with the County dispatcher and other units. It can be a little annoying, but it's very nice having both links at different times.

As for the local school radio system - there are a number of different bands that Emergency Services radio system commonly operate on. Very few radios will work on multiple bands (and the ones that do cost a LOT more).

Another thing - Narrowbanding is coming, if it isn't there already. That means you need a new(er) radio that is capable of narrowbanding, otherwise you'll run afoul of the FCC.