Radial Artery Bleed

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Guardian, I think it's time for me to clarify what I meant. I mean that if you accept the cert/lic in that area, you are accepting their protocols, how they are written, if you don't like them, don't work there. Just like Rid said, he gave the reason that he wouldn't work in an area, the protocols are there, either accept or reject, but you can't have both.

I think it's time to clarify what I meant, again. There have never been protocols written, nor will there ever be protocols written to satisfy me. You can write a trillion pages of protocols, and I guarantee it won't be enough to prepare me for any situation I might encounter. Thus, we have to be willing to think outside our protocols and even deviate from them. If not, there will come a time when an ems provider lets someone die because a nationally recognized, easy treatment--well within their scope--isn't performed simply because it wasn't in their protocols. Earlier in this thread, I outlined a very easy to understand example involving a tk and a 40 min entrapment that highlights this point perfectly. This is basic, basic, stuff guys. The world is not black and white. Protocols at their best, are guidelines. During the Apollo 13 incident, they used protocols to fly the rocket. When an unexpected error occurred, the protocols went right out the window (figure of speech). If they had continued following protocols at that point, those three men would have died. They had to get together and do some critical thinking. They had to find a way to make a CO2 filter out of extra crap they found lying around. On the spot, they had to calculate how to use the lunar module rocket to propel the men around the moon and back to earth (something it wasn't designed to do). They had done very extensive research and had thousands of protocols. But to save the men, they were forced to deviate from those protocols. Basic, basic stuff guys.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I hope I never become apathetic in my career, and I hope my co-workers are caring individuals that care about the patients. Once I am more experienced, I will be more active in improving protocols and EMS in general.

Back to the thread topic - Was the guy really trying to kill himself? Most people attempting suicide would do it right on the wrist and not in the middle of the forearm. I haven't got to trauma yet in my class, so how should you deal with this situation? Direct pressure? arterial pressure?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
I hope I never become apathetic in my career, and I hope my co-workers are caring individuals that care about the patients. Once I am more experienced, I will be more active in improving protocols and EMS in general.

Back to the thread topic - Was the guy really trying to kill himself? Most people attempting suicide would do it right on the wrist and not in the middle of the forearm. I haven't got to trauma yet in my class, so how should you deal with this situation? Direct pressure? arterial pressure?

Direct pressure, elevation, pressure point.

OP
OP
S

Shabo

Forum Probie
No, He wasn't trying to kill himself. It appears as though he slipped and cut/stabbed himself while making something to eat. He mostly bled out before BLS arrived, but they couldn't stop the bleeding either. I'm guessing that he was probably taking some kind of med that kept his blood from clotting (or he had hemophilia). Either way we were all shocked at how small of a wound killed this guy.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok... Guardian, I see your point, and Rid's too... Protocols can cover a lot... but they CAN'T cover everything... I like Rid's idea that sometimes we have too many protocols... on the same token, we shouldn't always have to call command for "simple" things... like 2mg of MS for Chest Pain...

I think the big thing we are all saying is that there are times we have to say "This protocol dosen't work" and call command... I think that is absolutly correct.

As for apathetic basics... I think Guardian and Recylced Words both make good points. I, for example, tried and failed to complete medic school... I'm not a medic... but I can be an asset on a scene... and often end up letting some eager new EMT do compressions on a code, while I stand back and help the single-provider medic (spiking bags, prepping meds, etc) I have one medic I occasionally work events with at the part-time job... we did the Auto Show this year... at one point... I was working up a weakness patient... and came to the conclusion that it was an ALS call... I looked at him, I said it's ALS... he looks at me "you know how to hook up the monitor"... he was catching up on other paperwork when the Pt. walked in to our office... I did most of the workup... he just listened and got handed the strips by me...

I strive to be a caring, compassionate provider (I sometimes fail - espicially with system abusers) but I do my best to make sure every pt. gets the care they expect when they call 911...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I blame all of the bloodsucking lawyers!

The bloodsucking lawyers wouldn't have a chance if the insurance companies who collect money from both sides of every conflict didn't pay off those large settlements. Think about it.... the hospital has liability insurance to cover their liability for when a patient sues them. The patient carries health insurance to cover the rising cost of healthcare that results from the increased cost the hospital has paying its liability insurance. The materials providers and pharmaceutical companies all have huge liability policies to cover their butts in case of suit. Now.. my insurance company insists that if you are hurt on a location, not your home, they want the name of the insurance company of the location where you were injured so they can recover some of their 'losses'. The local hospital is now collecting that information routinely on all accident cases. And who is it who pays off all those settlements that make the legal profession so interested in filing suit? The insurance companies do. So, they make a few huge settlements a year showing all the other suckers the importance of having insurance in case they get sued! Don't talk to me about lawyers..... kill the insurance companies!

Medic's Wife

Forum Crew Member
NYC is thinking about the fact that everyone and everywhere are close to hospitals, so certain things in their opinion aren't as necessary as they would be with a more rural system.

Here's what struck me as I was reading that:

Where is the contingency plan? That whole 5 minutes from a hospital plan only holds true if all the "normal" conditions are in place. I would think that in NYC of all places (after the first WTC bombings, and the 9/11 attacks) there would be a strong understanding of the fact that $hit happens. If there ever was a situation that was of a grand enough scale that would get in the way of a 5 minute transfer, lives could possibly be lost because they are turning out a whole generation of EMS personnel that would be ill equipped to deal with that scenario. I personally would feel much more comfortable with a medic taking care of me that could keep me for several hours, if need be, not just 5 minutes!

*ducking for cover now*

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
The contingency is me.

If such a situation should arise, pretty much every city/state protocol goes out the window.

Medic's Wife

Forum Crew Member
And I'm sure you and other experienced folks could do just fine, but what about the brand new guys that never learned the protocals that they're doing away with?

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
And I'm sure you and other experienced folks could do just fine, but what about the brand new guys that never learned the protocals that they're doing away with?

I was trained with the knowledge that even though tourniquets are not part of NYC protocol, that we need to know how to properly use them either way.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
In NYC protocols are to be followed, and not used as guidelines.

Sure, testify against me in court, I have the state on my side.

The contingency is me.

If such a situation should arise, pretty much every city/state protocol goes out the window.

I don't understand the difference between my scenario and hers. Both are dealing with saving life/lives. Why the different answer?

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
Because I woke up on the other side of the bed this morning?

No, she was talking about contingencies, not the run of the mill MVA.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
She was talking about an unexpected occurrence that could result in human loss if protocols were followed. I was talking about the exact same thing. A mva with the only injury being an uncontrollable arterial bleed and 40 min entrapment in not run of the mill.

Last edited by a moderator:

wendyloo

Forum Ride Along
Guys, I recently completed an ER clinical where we had a pt arrive by BLS truck with a 1-2 cm lac to the middle of the rt forearm. The elderly pt had apparently been bleeding for a while before help arrived. Pt was Alert upon BLS arrival and the bleeding was uncontrolled. They attempted to stop the bleed but couldn't and wrapped it in gauze and a cravat for transport. The pt completely decompensated before arrival to the ER and resuscitation was unsuccessful. I was hoping that you could help me with a few questions.

1. How long do you think it would take to bleed out from this wound? (meds unknown)
2. Is there a reason a tourniquet wouldn't be applied?
3. What would your response have been?

Thanks,
Shabo
Hi Shabo,

it took a 33 year old man, 15 to 30 minutes to bleed out, the patient was conscious when found, but died shortly after, despite CPR. He was in a psychiatric hospital and had been checked on half an hour before. the incident.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi Shabo,

it took a 33 year old man, 15 to 30 minutes to bleed out, the patient was conscious when found, but died shortly after, despite CPR. He was in a psychiatric hospital and had been checked on half an hour before. the incident.
This thread is 9 years old.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
This thread is such a trip. It was against protocol to use a tourniquet in NYC in 2007? Are you ****ing kidding me?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Holy toledo! I think this is the greatest save to date!!! Has anyone beat 9 years yet? We had a few close ones but I think this is the one!!