Racism among ambulance companies !

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
All the ambulance companies I call and ask if they're hiring say yes but once I say I'm Hispanic/Latino I never hear from them ever again :(, racism is everywhere .

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Where are you applying and why are you telling people your ethnicity? Just find out if they are hiring and drop off an application with a resume. From what you are saying racism can't even be inferred as it could be how you are talking to them as an individual that is the problem. Additionally ambulance companies receive tons of applications, it's up to you to follow up not them. There are hundreds of reasons they could not be calling to interview you and I would have to say that your race is at the bottom of the list most likely. I've yet to see any service intentionally not hire due to race and I've worked for quite a few and talked with many others over the years.

OP
OP
Francisco

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
They ask my ethnicity that's why I have to say I'm Hispanic not like I can say I'm white with a hispanic name, and well I keep calling and calling to check up on my application yet they say they're not hiring when I see new people getting by the same companies saying they're not hiring when I call, I attach everything certifications, resume, dmv print out, background check, a proper filled application.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Do you have any EMS experience?

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
I've been employed for 15 years in various roles and Ive never been asked my ethnicity over the phone. Either you're trolling or you can't handle the fact you haven't been given employment due to other- probably more realistic reasons.

On a side note, hypothetically speaking...if I were an employer (and a racist one), and the resume of a Mr 'Juan Velasquez' appeared on my desk- I don't think I'd take the time to query your ethnicity if you called me...

Perhaps generating a more productive approach to job seeking might be more beneficial to you.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
When filling out applications there is a spot to fill in your gender and race but by no means do you need to answer. There is that option to not respond. IF they are asking you over the phone when calling to set up an interview I would ask them what your race has to do with the medical skills you poses. If you are calling places and saying something along the lines of, "Hi, are you guys hiring?.... You are? Great! I'm Hispanic." then stop.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Most be where you're at...if that is indeed the case. Big need for bilingual folks in all sorts of field as over the country. Oh, and it would most likely be ethnocentricism and not racism since most "Hispanics" are pretty much Caucasian. Just saying.

OCEMTDOC

Forum Ride Along
I'm Latino as well and I think being Hispanic/Bilingual is more of an advantage than a disadvantage in the job market. Like people have previously posted, there are dozens of reasons why they haven't called you back, race shouldn't be the first reason to jump to in cases like this. Don't be afraid to follow up with an email or preferably a phone call to see what is going on. Although they are not obligated to, they might tell you why they didn't hire you (i.e. bad spelling on your resume, your references are off, etc...)

And there shouldn't be any reason why you have to tell them your race. I've never had an employer ask me for my race/ethnicity, if they did it's probably a place I wouldn't want to work at anyway. If you have some hard proof that they didn't hire you because of your race, don't be afraid to report it to the proper authorities. We don't need those kind of people in 2016.

Good luck on the job hunt!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Either you're trolling or you can't handle the fact you haven't been given employment due to other- probably more realistic reasons.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I highly doubt that any of these companies aren't hiring you because of your race. You're pulling the race care WAY to early. Ever hear of EEO? You can't be discriminated against because of race. How long has it been since you've applied? Day? Week? Month? Year? Have you been fired from other jobs for things like insubordination? Do you have a criminal record? To many speeding tickets? Do you have spelling errors on your app? Is all the info on your app true? Did you sign and date the application? See theres a million reasons why you didn't get hired. When I was applying for a seasonal firefighting position straight out of high school I met all the requirements, application and resume were ship shape. Did I get a interview? No. Did I get a job? Eventually, diligence pays off. There could be more experienced and qualified people applying for the same position, there even may be only 1 position open and 50 applicants.

What I'm getting at is this more than likely isn't a race issue. Do a twice over on your applications and resumes or have someone else read them over to make sure everything is correct. You may not get the job at first but keep trying, it'll happen. Only time I've had to say my race is when I'm filling out paperwork to get hired i.e. the eeo survey or whatever its called.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
All the ambulance companies I call and ask if they're hiring say yes but once I say I'm Hispanic/Latino I never hear from them ever again :(, racism is everywhere .
Quit playing the professional victim role. That perception was put in your head by those wanting to create tension, hostility, and hatred amongst others to gain political power, and you're buying it.

Be true to yourself and be persistent in achieving your goals. Only your self and a negative attitude stand in your way of success.

Reynolds One

Forum Probie
I have never in my 36 years heard of an employer asking applicants what their race is over the phone. On an application, sometimes, but not over the phone.

And how are you keeping tabs on all these other applicants that you say are getting jobs with the companies you claim aren't hiring? How would you know all that?

Your story is full of holes, my friend. Certifications and even experience don't guarantee the job. Sometimes it's all about how you come across - how you present yourself. It's quite possible that those companies simply chose another applicant for any number of reasons, none of which were based on the fact that you're Hispanic.

Racism is NOT everywhere.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What you should do is file a lawsuit. Spend a lot of your hard earned money on an attorney, and deal with it in course.

Of course, the lawsuit will be frivolous, because I can't believe any company would ask for your race over the phone, and use it to reject you, but at least it would give companies a reason not to hire you.

Mya

Forum Crew Member
On a side note, hypothetically speaking...if I were an employer (and a racist one), and the resume of a Mr 'Juan Velasquez' appeared on my desk- I don't think I'd take the time to query your ethnicity if you called me...

Oddly enough that IS my last name but I'm not Hispanic haha

But back to the situation...pretty much agree with everyone else in that it's very odd you've been asked that in the first place and that there are probably candidates at that time that are more appealing to the companies and you can't compete with them.

Still fishy its about race. Have someone look over your resume and make sure you meet the qualifications.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
For an industry that is always looking for warm bodies to fill seats, I find it hard to believe they would discriminate based on race.