Quiz Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patput

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

My name is Pat. I've been a lurker for quite a while and finally signed up. I'm about a month away from finishing (and hopefully passing!) my NYS EMT-B course. A question from a recent quiz stumped me.

What term is used to describe the flow of blood from an artery through a capillary to a vein?

A) Perfusion
B) Metabolism
C) Systolic pressure
D) Diastolic pressure

Now to me that sounds like it should be circulation, the physical act of blow circulating through the body. I was taught perfusion is the gas exchange (ie you can circulate someones blood, you can't make them perfuse). Metabolism deals reactions within cells that "power" them. Systolic pressure would be the pressure when the left ventricle contracts and diastolic is the pressure between beats.

Do I have my thinking wrong?

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
All of your definitions seem correct to me, but perfusion would be the best answer. Perfusion is the act of blood circulating and delivering oxygen to cells (via capillaries) throughout the body. What you described as perfusion above is oxygenation.

^ The simplistic answer :p

Last edited by a moderator:

d0nk3yk0n9

Forum Crew Member
Hey Pat, it's Danny.

That question threw me off too on our last quiz. I eventually answered perfusion by process of elimination, but I wanted circulation as a choice as well. My thought process was pretty much the same as yours.

P.S. Are you Pat #1 or Pat #2? :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread closed per this rule
Participants are not to post any testing questions from the NREMT or any other licensing agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.