Questions to Ask Potential EMS School

BHammond1

Forum Probie
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about what questions I should ask the school I'm considering taking my EMT classes at. I want to make sure they're perfectly reputable, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
At the EMT level, it really doesn't matter. It's such a very basic curriculum, that it is what you make of it more so than what they make of it. If you are concerned about getting the very most out of it, and being the best you can be, then put it off until you have taken both semesters of college Anatomy & Physiology, as well as working your way through a programmed Medical Terminology workbook. That alone will make you the best possible EMT graduate of any program. If you are not concerned with getting the most out of it and being the best you can be, then again, don't worry about the quality of the program. Just blow off the A&P and take the fastest, cheapest course you can find.

At the paramedic level, it is a completely different story, with a lot of criteria to consider and questions to ask before choosing a school. Check back with us at that time. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At least for an EMT program, ask about how long they have been in existence, how many they graduate v how many they enroll, average pass rates on state and national exams, where they send their students for clinicals and ride time, quality and qualifications of instructors, qualities of TAs, etc.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Ask about instructors and their experience. There's nothign worse than an instructor with no real world experience that say just finished EMT school and was going through medic school with no experience.

The stories of the road are what makes a good instructor, giving real insight.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=7492&highlight=school
Kind of the same type of question.

(not in any particular order)

1. Is this school accredited? Check http://www.caahep.org/Find_An_Accredited_Program.aspx to find out.
2. Is this a degree program? (actually, this should be #1, and the answer had better be yes.)
3. How many hours (not days, weeks or months) does this course run?
4. What are the prerequisites to entry?
5. What qualifications does the instructor(s) have?
6. What percentage of students pass the state/national tests?
7. What percentage find employment as paramedics within 1 year? 2 years? (may not track this, but worth checking)
8. How many hours are required for the internship?
9. Is passing the internship based on meeting an hourly requirement or meeting and exceeding a standard?
10. How many clinical hours (in hospital) are required?
11. Is passing the clinical portion based on meeting the hourly requirement or meeting and exceeding a standard?
12. What does the local agency think of this program? (and then ask them to see if the answers match)
13. Do the preceptors during the internship have any formal training as FTO's, or are they assigned at random?
14. Does the course curriculum exceed the national standards? (if they say no just walk away right then)

Just a few off the top of my head. Loads more though.

Man I'm bored.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Before you get hung up on pass rates (both class and certification exam pass rates), understand that great pass rates do NOT indicate anything about the school being good. There are 14 day patch factories that have wonderful pass rates because they strictly teach the test instead of teaching a competent curriculum.

On the other hand, horrible pass rates are ALWAYS a bad thing. There is no exception to this rule.

If a school has a poor pass rate, it sucks. If a school has an awesome pass rate, it might still suck. So again, don't get hung up on pass rates. Most often, they are meaningless in regards to quality of education.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Before you get hung up on pass rates (both class and certification exam pass rates), understand that great pass rates do NOT indicate anything about the school being good. There are 14 day patch factories that have wonderful pass rates because they strictly teach the test instead of teaching a competent curriculum.

On the other hand, horrible pass rates are ALWAYS a bad thing. There is no exception to this rule.

If a school has a poor pass rate, it sucks. If a school has an awesome pass rate, it might still suck. So again, don't get hung up on pass rates. Most often, they are meaningless in regards to quality of education.
Sure. But better to know that info before you pony up a nice fat tuition check and then find out that generally only 5% of the class are able to become certified as paramedics. Handy piece of information to have... :beerchug:

cfrench

Forum Crew Member
Talk to the area agencies, button hole an EMT someplace and ask him. The players will know has it and who does not.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk to the area agencies, button hole an EMT someplace and ask him.
Unfortunately, he'll just tell you that his school rocks and every other school sucks, even though he has no experiential knowledge base from which to judge either his school or any other. Asking EMTs is not a particularly good way to get objective information on the quality of area school, so take that with a grain of salt. But at least they can tell you what the program was like, and you can compare that to the experiences of grads from other programs to determine which may be more suitable to your needs.

For example, one EMT may tell you that his school required uniforms be worn at every class, with daily uniform inspections and a lot of paramilitary nonsense and a focus on turning out fireman wannabes with the minimum necessary hours to take the test. Another EMT may tell you that his school was very casual and comfortable, with the students being treated like intelligent adults, and a focus on producing gradutates to be medical professionals. Some schools may meet five days a week and last 14 days, giving you exactly what you need to take the test, and nothing more. Others may meet for a full college semester and provide twice the minimum contact hours and ambulance ride time necessary, in order to assure the most competent possible provider. Each of those schools will appeal to many students, so when a graduate gets all excited about how his school rocked, you have to take that into consideration. Just get as much information as possible from them, then decide which best meets your needs.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I've had a very bad experience with my school and I wish I had asked around more so I could track down former students. I had heard some rumours about certain staffers throughout the class, but dismissed them, and boy, were they right. I wish I had spoken to more people who were NOT being paid by the school before I signed up.