Questions about protocols

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
So I just got a job in a new state with a private company and after asking around I finally got a hold of my new protocols, which are area wide, and not specific to my company.

The protocols are all hosted on a fairly generic, non-official website. Each protocol has to be downloaded individually, and they are all in a non-protected Word format. The protocols don't seem to have an understandable order and the numbering system is very strange. For instance there are protocols numbered 190, 190A and 190.1 . These protocols are not related to each other, and according to the "official" table of contents they don't even go next to each other if the protocols were in a book. The regional EMS council also updates protocols about once a month, and because of this they do not print/publish an official version on paper.

This is a total 180 from what I am used to, and I'm wondering is it normal for protocols to be handled so....unstructured? I mean, anyone can download a protocol, edit it and then print it since it's Word. Plus it seems strange they would change them so often. I noticed on their changes list that one protocol was changed, and then 3 months later it was changed back to what it had originally said.

So anyway, how does your area handle their protocols?

Epi-do

I see dead people
Our protocols are updated once a year, unless something happens to require a change prior to that. The changes for the new year get introduced in February and, generally, go into effect in March.

As far as I know, there isn't a website we can go to for access, but we all get a printed copy of them. Our department also gets an electronic file that we can access from the intranet at work. The electronic file is read only.

Our protocols are county wide. All of the medical directors in the county meet, agree to the changes, and sign off on the protocols. Some organizations then may have "extra" protocols if their medical director allows them to do something that is not within the county protocols, although I can't think of any specific examples of this.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Thanks guys. JPINFV, both of those are much more similar to what I am used to, and what I would expect out of official protocols.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Ours are purposely written fairly vague so for one we aren't dragged down to cookbook medicine and secondly so they don't have to rewrite them for every minor change that happens in the medical world. Our last major overhaul was when they began the zoll autopulse study to fit the guidelines of the study but that's it. Medical Director attends the monthly meetings and brings a few points of interest to the table so everybody is aware of new standards but it doesn't have to be written every time.

eric2068

Forum Crew Member
We have a state EMS director, and each service has a medical director. We have one set of protocols for the entire state, but each service can adapt those to what suits them best, but they cannot deviate from the basic principal. If a service wans to add or delete from protocols, such as medications,they must get approval from their medical director, then they must submit a request to the state ems director, and it has to go before the state ems commission for approval