Question

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but here it goes. I know you have to have a state license to work in a state. Why do you have to pass the NREMT test to become an EMT if you have already passed the state test. I know you can let your national registry run out and still work on your state license, so why do you have to pass the national registry before you are allowed to start working as an EMT? Just curious

JPINFV

Gadfly
It depends on the state. Not all states use NREMT (e.g. Massachusetts). Some states just use NREMT as an initial exam, and don't mind if you drop it following initial licensure (e.g. California). Some states require continued registration as a condition of licensure.

OP
OP
H

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
So how would I find out what my state requires. I looked at the state ems website and didn't see anything. So even if they don't require the national registry, you still have to take before you can get your state license.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It appears that Kentucky requires NREMT for initial licensure.

http://kbems.kctcs.edu/Certification_and_Licensure/EMT/Certification.aspx

Similarly, looking at the recertification page, either a current NREMT certification or a 24 hour refresher course is acceptable, so you could drop National Registry after you are licensed in Kentucky. There are pros and cons to maintaining or dropping NREMT.

OP
OP
H

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
K. Thanks for the help. I was going to say this at if KY didn't require it then I would see about just using state license instead. I passed the state, but not passed the national yet. Oh well I guess I will keep trying. :)