Question

ameriloc

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone. Quick question. I am a commercial Diving Supervisor/Underwater welder so I have a extensive knowledge of Hyperbaric Medicine. I am trying to get my dmt/cht Certification but the course requires a emt-b at minimum. Since I work all over the world. Question is; would the wemt course be good for me or would something else be better suited to my needs?
Thank you, David Hogan

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The commercial diver courses I am familiar with also cover most of what an EMT-B class covers and beyond. You also have the advantage of being a commercial diver which consists of extensive gas laws and math knowledge.

Do you have the other requirements listed as training, including the NBDHMT CHT course, and experience?

You can also contact the NBDHMT and see if any part of your resume meets the requirements.

An EMT-B cert, which is only 110 - 130 hours in most states, which could be done in less than 3 weeks or even online with a brief clinical. The U.S. EMT-B may be not recognized in other parts of the world. The NBDHMT is just looking for a basic medical knowledge and first aid. In hospitals and wound care centers, RNs and RRTs will be utilized in the HBO centers for advanced medical requirement of HBO patients. Paramedic training in addition to the CHT education/training requirements would be great for offshore and remote locations but not always practical for a variety of reasons.

OP
OP
A

ameriloc

Forum Ride Along
VentMedic yes I have over 1900 hrs of hyperbaric medical training over the past 12 yrs. When I contacted NBDHMT they said they do not recognize what I have as as approved training for a DMT cert.. without a NREMT-B They say I can get a "chamber operator" cert.. With a CO cert I can do nothing.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Well, it sounds like they have a hoop they want you to jump through. At least the hoop isn't too high.

OP
OP
A

ameriloc

Forum Ride Along
Yep hoop after hoop after hoop. I dont mind it's not like I can dive the rest of my life. I need something to fall back on. This seems the best I can think of.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
VentMedic yes I have over 1900 hrs of hyperbaric medical training over the past 12 yrs. When I contacted NBDHMT they said they do not recognize what I have as as approved training for a DMT cert.. without a NREMT-B They say I can get a "chamber operator" cert.. With a CO cert I can do nothing.

Well, DMT does stand for Diving Medical Technician. It should be good to have something that shows you have some medical knowledge even if it is only the EMT-B.

If you want the cert, you'll have to play by the standards they have set. This is just to ensure some consistency in education and experience. You may be the exception but it is their test and rules.

EMT-B is not that big of a deal to get. Take an online class and spend a few days onsite to get the clinicals and hours done.

We have RRTs and RNs with Masters degrees and diving experience as well as many years of HBO and ICU experience that still had to take the 40 - 120 hour Intro to HBO classes to qualify for the NBDHMT exams.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds to me as if you already have the knowledge and the basics just need to get the cert. As Vent said you are one of the few who would do well doing the on-line EMTB class as you have a working knowledge of what you are doing. Best of luck in the future. Also welcome to anyone that spends time under water.

medic417

The Truth Provider