Question about FDNY EMT

NYYGehrig

Forum Ride Along
I'm going to be taking the EMT-B course and am ultimately hoping to get hired by the FDNY. As someone who works in a hospital for security and deals with the NYPD almost on a daily basis I've learned that most cops that don't start their career in bad precinct and pay their dues don't get treated with the same respect as someone who, "paid their dues". I was just wondering if it was similar with the FDNY EMS. Basically my question is this. I live on Staten Island but should I start out in Brooklyn and pay my dues before I look to work on S.I.? Thank you very much for any insight/advice you guy can give me. It is much appreciated.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
You would be absolutely crazy to not work on S.I if you live there. You won't make enough to justify paying that toll and killing yourself with a painful commute.

There is no "paying your dues" in EMS. At least not in NYC.

OP
OP
NYYGehrig

NYYGehrig

Forum Ride Along
You would be absolutely crazy to not work on S.I if you live there. You won't make enough to justify paying that toll and killing yourself with a painful commute.

There is no "paying your dues" in EMS. At least not in NYC.

Thanks NYMedic828. I appreciate your honesty. I will definitely take your advice if I'm able to get a spot on S.I.

phideux

Forum Captain
I worked EMS in NY in the old days when we wore the "Greens", before it merged with FDNY. Do you get your choice of stations, go where assigned, or bid for stations now??? If you bid, you will be low man on the totem pole. Staten Island is like everywhere else, you'll have busy stations and slow ones.

janiejones

Forum Ride Along
I worked EMS in NY in the old days when we wore the "Greens", before it merged with FDNY. Do you get your choice of stations, go where assigned, or bid for stations now??? If you bid, you will be low man on the totem pole. Staten Island is like everywhere else, you'll have busy stations and slow ones.

At the end of TOP class, you fill out a dream sheet, picking which borough you want to work in order of preference. You don't get to pick specific stations, only divisions.

OP
OP
NYYGehrig

NYYGehrig

Forum Ride Along
At the end of TOP class, you fill out a dream sheet, picking which borough you want to work in order of preference. You don't get to pick specific stations, only divisions.

Thank you janiejones. I'd be happy working anywhere on Staten Island.

janiejones

Forum Ride Along
Thank you janiejones. I'd be happy working anywhere on Staten Island.

OK, but its rare to go to work on the island right out of the academy, also when you request division 5, Brooklyn South is in there as well so don't be surprised if youre assigned to coney island straight out of the academy.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
OK, but its rare to go to work on the island right out of the academy, also when you request division 5, Brooklyn South is in there as well so don't be surprised if youre assigned to coney island straight out of the academy.

Not entirely true. They do their best to send people who live on staten island, to staten island. If the spots are available, the people who reside on the island will have priority.

As far as I am concerned, if I work for NYC And I have to pay a toll to the city, to get to my place of employment, they are cutting my pay.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Was speaking to a friend of mine who works as an EMT for SIUH... on her last shift she had 4 GSW victims, and 2 cardiac arrests. on another shift she had, she pulled her defib out 6 times, had 2 GSW victims, 1 stabbing victim, and one violent EDP that PD was wrestling with. So just because you are on staten island doesn't mean you won't have your bad areas.

Personally (and I don't work in NYC yet, at least not yet), most people in EMS will give you a little more respect if you have worked in a busy urban ghetto area vs being in the calm peaceful suburbs.

And I happen to think the bad areas are more fun to work in. Especially as a new EMT, where you want to get as much patient contact experience as possible.

OP
OP
NYYGehrig

NYYGehrig

Forum Ride Along
Was speaking to a friend of mine who works as an EMT for SIUH... on her last shift she had 4 GSW victims, and 2 cardiac arrests. on another shift she had, she pulled her defib out 6 times, had 2 GSW victims, 1 stabbing victim, and one violent EDP that PD was wrestling with. So just because you are on staten island doesn't mean you won't have your bad areas.

Personally (and I don't work in NYC yet, at least not yet), most people in EMS will give you a little more respect if you have worked in a busy urban ghetto area vs being in the calm peaceful suburbs.

And I happen to think the bad areas are more fun to work in. Especially as a new EMT, where you want to get as much patient contact experience as possible.

I have no problem working in a bad area. I want to be somewhere where I can deal with a wide variety of issues. I actually work for SIUH right now (for Security) but can still attest that what your friend says is true. Especially the North Site. South is mostly OD's and EDP's. Definitely more variety at the North Site.