Public or Private?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
For those who have worked both public and private, what's your feeling on the subject? Do you feel one pays better? Is one suited more towards a certain individual? Anything else you can add?

Thanks as always, and I look forward to the responses!

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
I work for two agencies, one volunteer and one private paid. I find the the volunteer I work for has much better equipment. There are no public ones around my area to compare.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by lastcode@Feb 18 2004, 11:15 AM
I work for two agencies, one volunteer and one private paid. I find the the volunteer I work for has much better equipment. There are no public ones around my area to compare.
Im surprised you say the volunteer one has better equipment. There aren't any volunteer EMS companies in my county, we're in an extremely populated area, but I find in general public fire-ems squads have much better equipment than the private companies.

That said, the private company I work for has modular type III trucks for ALS, uses all the latest defibs and equipment, and has all the same stuff as the public crews. The same can't be said for the dominating private company AMR.

That's interesting though, and thanks for sharing!

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
Well I am very blessed to be working on the volunteer squad I do. Our call volume is around 1,000 calls a year. And without the payroll expense we can afford some nice stuff. We just got the new stairchairs with the treads, and brand new zolls. Our one rig is a 2002, and the other is a 2004. Our newest rig is huge. I can actually stand up in it with a 6' clearence inside. But the surrounding smalled towns are not as lucky as us. Most of the towns around us have call volumes under 400 and can barely survive.

PS: Congrats on the new Job :)

huckleberry18

Forum Crew Member
I love the volunteer departments where I am from all our Ems and Fire have all the neat stuff the paid guys dont have as nice of things as our department, I am a new person to this type of stuff but let me tell yea I love the volunteer departments better we just got a new rig a 2013 and we have this thing where we get paid for the calls we go on as a volunteer department.
I love the Volunteer departments better then the paid ones. :):D:);)

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
we have this thing where we get paid for the calls we go on as a volunteer department.
Then it it not a volunteer department. It is a paid on call (POC) department.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
My yearly is double at a public agency, compared to my last private. USUALLY public services have a more intense hiring process, which hopefully leads to having better employees.